• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Help Solved Gilbert crystal regulator chime problem.

Raymond101

Jun 25, 2022
Country
Hi , spent a 2 weeks or so working on a Gilbert crystal regulator. A total non runner . Dismantled cleaned .
The clock now runs . The half hour ding works. Now comes the crunch. It will bongs on the hour only once . & at 12 will bong for ever .
As it was a mess when I got it . I made marks on all the chime rods of positions to return them back to the original positions .
The counter arm counts up but doesn't reset @ 12 ..
I check that the 2 levers sit on the wheel stop & start . But I can't figure for the life of me why the flip arm doesn't trigger the stop.
I think it maybe the thin tension spring wound on the shafts are eather wrong or out of position.
Or I have missed something else.
I have taken photos but I don't think it will help as the pins and levers are to far in to show.
I was hoping that someone has braved one of these clocks . I think it just needs a small adjustment but can't put my finger on it .
I did look to see if someone had done a video on a repair. But only on the Arizona model . .
So any suggestions are welcome .
The clock part runs . Worse case scenario I can live without the noise. But I would like to be able to have it fully restored to its full glory. I have totally restored the case .
Thanks

20221112_221304.jpg 20221112_221132.jpg

Attachments

Raymond101

Jun 25, 2022
Country
Hi I managed to track the reasons.
The 3 pin pinion that operates the rack counter has to be exactly positioned to match the drop pin release . Really tricky adjusting. Also the securing disc has a small lock pin and was too tight replace with a brass wire in a "S" which allows for more end float & was stopping the clock on the pre strike. .
I have learned a lot on this Gilbert movement. Even though it's a 3 layer. It was built in a very clever way that it can be disassemble in stages . & the main spring sits in a sliding mount..
Thanks to all .
Ps the silver marks are only chrome timing markers for test .
20221114_151402.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Glad you got it, Raymond. Those gathering pallet pins have to be just right for the rack to drop. Especially if there are three pins.

Raymond101

Jun 25, 2022
Country
Glad you got it, Raymond. Those gathering pallet pins have to be just right for the rack to drop. Especially if there are three pins.
Thanks . What I did to solve the problem was to give the 2 springs just a turn to give just enough power so I could run the clock free just using my finger as a break.
This alowed me to watch how everything was messing and what was sticking. Ok it might not be the pro method. But to watch a dozen wheels & levels. Timing the 2 small lock pins in just the right places is really fun .1 stop from going to the cuckoo clubhouse.
Now I have to reassemble it all back into its full restored case .
Setting the beat I know this clock has to be 100% flat & level on X & Y ,Z to run true . .

Raymond101

Jun 25, 2022
Country
LOL!
I quit working on cuckoo clocks totally because they almost drove me there.
Don't ask me what I think about cuckoo clocks.. the last one I fixed was with a 10kg hammer. Hate them with vengeance..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent