Gilbert 1807 mantle clock info. Needed

Klef72

Jan 17, 2015
Country
I'm new to all of this so, please be tolerant of my questions. I inherited this from my great grandfathers brother. I'd like to know what year it is. It has a pat. Date of sept. 1, 1920. I live in Indiana and would like to get it cleaned up and make sure the mechanics all work and look good. I did wind it up a little and it ran for a while, but I have no idea how much to wind and which wind hole does what. I'm hoping I created a photo album of what I have if you would like to see it. Thanks!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome! Don't apologise for asking questions, that's one of the reasons for the board existing.

The right hand winding hole on your clock is for the time, the left hand one is for the strike. If I remember correctly, on these clocks the right hand wind is anticlockwise, the left hand wind is clockwise. I may be wrong, so just try it and you will soon find out.

As for how much to wind it, just carry on winding until you can feel it stop, you won't be able to wind it further. You can't overwind a clock (unless you took a wrench to it!) - overwinding is an old wives' tale. If you don't wind it fully it will not run for the full time it is supposed to.

It will almost certainly need a good cleaning and servicing. I am not sure if you are planning to do this yourself - if so, you will find lots of people here only to happy to help you through it. If you are going to get it done by a professional, then make sure it is some one reliable. You could contact your local chapter of the NAWCC and they will gladly help you find the right person.

Be warned - clocks are addictive, once you've dealt with one you can't stop! But you'll meet a lot of good and helpful people along the way. Good luck.

JTD

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
JTD has some good info in his post. We can help you a bit further if you would post pictures. At this time, there are no pictures in your album. Try looking at this for help in adding pictures directly to this thread.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Welcome Klef,

Sorry but I couldn't find your album but I'm pretty sure I know what you have. A few basics first.

1. The left winder winds the strike and winds clockwise. The right winder winds the timekeeping part of the clock and winds counter-clockwise. It is, in a clock of good condition, an old wives tale that you can wind a clock too tight. It will gradually get stronger as you wind it then will suddenly feel pretty solid when it is wound fully. Don't try to force it past this point or you could cause damage.

2. Your clock is likely an 8 day clock. In good condition it will run for 10 days or more, but is meant to be wound once a week, and should be capable of keeping pretty good time (within 2 - 3 minutes) during this time, but accuracy will fall off dramatically after about a week.

3. Since your clock is an heirloom and has likely sat for a long time without running, I would recommend you have it properly serviced and oiled by a reputable clocksmith before being put into service. It may be true that it will run in the condition it is in but the oils in a clock dry out and thicken after 5 to 8 years and your clock will wear very fast. It will cost a little, depending on what concerns are found, but will be money well spent.

Edit- Ha! I was typing while JTD was posting. Sounds like we were on the same wavelength.

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I couldn't find an exact match for your clock is Tran Duy Ly's book on Gilbert clocks, though the case certainly has similarities to several from the early to the mid-1920's. That time frame, of course, is suggested by the Sept. 7, 1920, patent date on the bezel. Here, BTW, is a link to the patent in question. The case of a clock called the Princely (1922 catalogue) is pretty close, but has squared/sharp edges on the case rather than the rounded ones on yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cona
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff