Gifted

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
BobH recently shared with us how he acquired his pinwheel regulator - a KOOL story of receiving the gift of a VERY desirable clock that the donor detested. My find not as desirable, but I was called to a widow's home to look at a tall clock. I commenced looking at it - noted one chain off wheel, etc. There was small talk as I looked at it. Then she said, "would you like to have this clock? I'm amidst a move to East Texas since I recently became a widow and won't have the room for it." It was a medium height tall clock - a Grandmother clock I'd say. "King Arthur" I believe. Probably bought in the "70's" and probably very expensive in a new clock store. Tell us about a clock someone gave you. Kool stuff. Edited to correct "DONEE" before MIKE dose.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
BobH recently shared with us how he acquired his pinwheel regulator - a KOOL story of receiving the gift of a VERY desirable clock that the donor detested. My find not as desirable, but I was called to a widow's home to look at a tall clock. I commenced looking at it - noted one chain off wheel, etc. There was small talk as I looked at it. Then she said, "would you like to have this clock? I'm amidst a move to East Texas since I recently became a widow and won't have the room for it." It was a medium height tall clock - a Grandmother clock I'd say. "King Arthur" I believe. Probably bought in the "70's" and probably very expensive in a new clock store. Tell us about a clock someone gave you. Kool stuff. Edited to correct "DONEE" before MIKE dose.

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
I can tell you how my father acquired a gold-cased Rolex in 1957...NAW...not the way you're thinking. My dad was a jeweler in a beautiful little college town in central PA. One of the Professors walked into the store, indicating his Rolex would not continue running. After checking a piece on the Watchmaster, it wasn't unusual for my dad to wear a watch to monitor performance before doing any work. A week later, the professor returned and my father gave him the watch back stating it performed flawlessly for the entire week. My dad observed the professor placed the watch on his left wrist. Less than a week later, the prof returned with the watch...stopped again. Dad quizzed him concerning his habits...watch on left wrist, but right handed. My dad suggested wearing the watch on his right wrist, noting the prof's left hand seemed to always be in his jacket pocket and this was a self-winding watch. That suggestion didn't go very far, but the professor then asked if he could trade the watch for a new Remington shaver. Quicker than a blink, my dad had a half-dozen shavers on the counter and asked "which model do you want?"

Bill

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Well Scottie,
Mine is a little Granddaughter Clock. It was a basket case and was brought back from Europe where it was picked up at a "Boot Sale", (Mike can fill you in on this). As it turns out, the strike side is missing the star shaped arbor the trips the hammer for the strike. Still a nice gift and treasured on its own and as a gift from a dear friend.

115.jpg

DenisG

Sep 7, 2003
Hi all,

About 3 months ago, a friend of mine who is a local antique dealer and who I have repaired several clocks for at minimum or no charge asked me to come look at a clock she had stored in her garage. Turned out to be a Howard Miller, oak case in nice shape, probably 70s, triple chime movement in need of some TLC. To my surprise and delight, she told me to take the clock if I wanted it as she had no use for it. I tried to pay her a fair price for it, but she would not hear of it. I'm ashamed to say that I have yet to get around to putting it back into running condition. Too backlogged with customer repairs. Oh well... one day soon :)

Denis

analogtime

Feb 4, 2005
Wi
Country
Region
Years ago I lived next door to a gentleman who had worked for the railroad for many years. He was confined to a wheelchair and one day asked if I would wind his clock for him. When I entered his house there was a #20 Waterbury regulator hanging on the wall. I wound the clock once a week for a number of years and would have coffee on saturday morning and would talk a lot about railroading and how that clock was from a depot that had closed after the logging era ended in the north woods. After his death I was notified that I was in his will and had been left the clock. It has been one of the most treasured clocks in my collection and brings back a lot of good memories.

Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
A friend of my wife's and mine, who ran an antique store specializing in Art Deco, had numerous pieces in her home. When she died unexpectedly, her widow called me and said she had wanted me to have first pick of any clock in her home as she knew none of her children would want them. So I picked a very nice three piece marble clock set.

About three months later, her widow again called and said all the children had claimed everything they wanted, and she was correct, none chose any of the clocks, so did I want those that remained?

They are clocks I will never sell.

RobertG

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by BIG D:
Well Scottie,
Mine is a little Granddaughter Clock. It was a basket case and was brought back from Europe where it was picked up at a "Boot Sale", (Mike can fill you in on this). As it turns out, the strike side is missing the star shaped arbor the trips the hammer for the strike. Still a nice gift and treasured on its own and as a gift from a dear friend.

115.jpg
Hi Don
What sort of movement is it? One of us may have a wheel. Ray in Devon usually has a few.
What is the thing on the table to the right of the clock?

Last edited by a moderator:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
My gift clock is a Riley Whiting pillar and splat, wooden works, that came to me through this board. A fellow had run a post asking if anyone wanted his clock, as he was going to throw it away. I was the closest respondant to his question. It is still a project clock :biggrin: :biggrin:
Harold

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by harold bain:
My gift clock is a Riley Whiting pillar and splat, wooden works, that came to me through this board. A fellow had run a post asking if anyone wanted his clock, as he was going to throw it away. I was the closest respondant to his question. It is still a project clock :biggrin: :biggrin:
Harold
Wow, Harold! I wish someone would throw a wooden works clock in my direction!

C

chasbaz

My gift is a Becker regulator.

When I was very young we lived for a time with my Dad's business partner (they ran a market garden on the property). In the hall there was a wall clock which fascinated me. I expect I couldn't reach it otherwise I would have taken it to bits!

Over 40 years later I went to visit these people and they said they still had the clock and would I like it. The only snag was that it had been stored in a damp shed for years and had virtually disintegrated. Most of the veneer had fallen off, but we collected all of the bits. I restored the case but it is one of those many projects which is not quite finished.

The movement was very rusty so I took it to a repairer who had fallen on hard times and needed the work. He did a bunk and either dumped my movement or took it with him. I found another movement and dial so it may be that it will all work again one day.

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Hi Don
What sort of movement is it? One of us may have a wheel. Ray in Devon usually has a few.
What is the thing on the table to the right of the clock?

Keep ticking
Mike

Thanks Mike,
It is only marked with "Made in England". I can get the deminsions for you tonight as I am at work right now.

The thing on the chair right next to the fan is a ceiling fan motor I had to get replaced. (Or the green thing on the table to the right and behind the chair is lamp)

Let me know what else you need to possibly find a wheel or movement that will work.

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator:
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
standardtwin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool