German wall clock, saved from dump!

Janusy

Mar 28, 2020
Country
german1.JPG german2.jpeg german3.jpeg german4.jpeg I should have taken more 'before' pics but this is the end result of a lot of cleaning, structural repair, dismantling and polishing! Works beautifully and has a gorgeous, sonorous gong. I am mystified however by the maker's mark on the back plate. I haven't seen it before and I can't see it in any of the references I have access to. Can anyone shed any light?
John

german1.JPG german1.JPG german4.jpeg german1.JPG anglo american2.jpg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board! Per the mikrolisk site, this is the logo for SUA or Schwäbische Uhren und Apparatefabrik AG out of Sindelfingen, Germany.

Kurt

Janusy

Mar 28, 2020
Country
Thank you so much Kurt! Just as I was posting, I took a longer look at the stamp design and did wonder if the long, wavy line was in fact a stylized letter 's' - and so it seems to be!
This has been my first post and I'm thrilled that it actually got before the eyes of someone who could help! Thanks a lot!
John

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
View attachment 578975 View attachment 578976 View attachment 578977 View attachment 578978 I should have taken more 'before' pics but this is the end result of a lot of cleaning, structural repair, dismantling and polishing! Works beautifully and has a gorgeous, sonorous gong. I am mystified however by the maker's mark on the back plate. I haven't seen it before and I can't see it in any of the references I have access to. Can anyone shed any light?
John

View attachment 578967 View attachment 578968 View attachment 578969 View attachment 578971 View attachment 578972
Welcome to the forum.

As Kurt stated, the trademark on your movement is that of Schwäbische Uhren und Apparatefabrik.

Not too much is known of the firm, except they were in business in the mid-1920s and just for a short period of time.

It is assumed that they were wholesalers / distributors. It is thought that they distributed clocks made by Mauthe, a German manufacturer of clocks.

What is it? - a DUFA?

We have contributors who can identify Mauthe movements (and other unmarked German movements) and they should be along shortly to opine.

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Not too much is known of the firm, except they were in business in the mid-1920s and just for a short period of time.
Well, yes and no.
Schwäbische Uhren- und Apparatefabrik AG was founded in 1921 and absorbed in 1926 into the firm Uhrenfabrik Suevia, which had been founded in 1906 and was still in business in 2005.

The whole SUA/Suevia story is extremely convoluted and underwent numerous name changes through the years but as new2clocks says, it was always closely connected with Mauthe.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-