• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

German Trademark

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello,

I am looking at a Mauthe mantel clock.

It has the Mauthe trademark on both the face and the movement.

The trademark is an eagle whose tallons (sp?) are holding a circle and within the circle are the letters F M S.

I recall reading (although I am having trouble confirming) that Mauthe changed their trademark at some point.

Can anyone provide a date this clock was manufactured based on the trademark I described above?

Thank you and regards.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello,

I am looking at a Mauthe mantel clock.

It has the Mauthe trademark on both the face and the movement.

The trademark is an eagle whose tallons (sp?) are holding a circle and within the circle are the letters F M S.

I recall reading (although I am having trouble confirming) that Mauthe changed their trademark at some point.

Can anyone provide a date this clock was manufactured based on the trademark I described above?

Thank you and regards.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Hello n2c,

As always a picture or two would greatly help us to provide you with information. You may also do a "find" search on Mauthe. We have discussed this quite recently.

Regards,

Richard T.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Richard,

Thank you.

I used the "find" function and in a prior discussion a gentleman from Singapore provided a link (.jpg file) to an article on Mauthe trademarks and the "not earlier than dates" associated with them.

Unfortunately, every time I try to open the file I get the message "Page can not be found". I don't know if it is an internet thing or what, but I will try again!

Regards.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greetings New2 -- There was a two-part article about problems in using German trademarks for dating, and especially the information about them in Kochmann's _Trademark Index_. Called "German Trademarks: Dates and Dating" it appeared in the July and August 2001 issues of CLOCKS Magazine. The Mauthe marks and the information given about them in the _Index_ formed a detailed example of these problems. Copies of the article are available from the NAWCC's Library & Research Center. Regards, Duck

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
new2clocks,

I believe the Message Board has since removed those picture file from that post.
Hope I can have the same picture posted here.

15.gif

The top trandemark (A) was used in 1888, and the rest (B) 1902, (C) 1909, and (D) 1929

Mun C.W.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Mr. Mun and Chris,

Thank you so much for your assistance!

The mark looks very simi;ar to the top mark in Chris's link.

In Mr. Mun's posting, the mark looks like the mark from 1902 example except that the mark has the markings on the "heart" of the eagle as shown in the 1929 example.

I am now totally confused!

This clock is from an e-bay posting that states it is from 1844, which would not confirm either mark. Am I allowed to show the e-bay site of the clock in question? The clock is e-bay number 6542082708 for your consideration. My apologies in advance if this is a breech of protocol for this board.

Regards.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
N2C,

Just looked at the clock on e-bay and in my opinion it wasn't made anywhere near 1844. If Kochmann's dates can be verified, Mauthe didn't start his own manufacturing until 1860 or so.
Just my opinion.

Regards,

Richard T.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, N2C. That looks like a pretty good clock, but I would date it from early 1900's, mostly due to the movement. The plates would be pinned if it was as old as the seller says. Harold

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Mr. Duck,

I just received my copy of the Clocks Magazine article on German Trademarks you previously mentioned. (I assume you were the author of this article.)

Thanks for the guidance.

R

raymond c matthews

hello this tdemark appears to have been used in 1925together with 2 more.the mark was registered in 28 01 1925 .hope this is of help regards ray

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
I have a Mauthe carriage alarm/music box clock similar to the one shown in Chris's web site. The mark on the movement is an oval within an oval with Mauthe on top and Germany on bottom but without the FR as shown on one of the trademarks. I guess made in the 40's. The little girl next door was playing with it and when she had torn it up, threw it in the field behind the house. I gathered up what parts I could find. I found the movement, case and bezel, but no front door, dial or music box. The movement still runs good after all this mistreatment.

Missy

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Ray and Missy,

I suspect the clock is no older than the mid-1920's, possibly the mid-1930's.

The mark with "Germany" imprinted, assuming the clock was for export to the U.S., is a good indication that it was manufactured after 1911 (or 1913 - not sure which year), which is the year, if I recall correctly, when the U.S. required the country of origin to be labeled on imported goods. The FMS eagle trademark seems to indicate mid-1920's to mid-1930's. I suppose it could be post-war Germany (late '40's).

It is good to know your clock took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

Regards.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
The requirement that ALL articles of foreign manufacture OR "other imported articles" (plus packaging etc.) be marked IN ENGLISH to indicate the country of origin first came with the (US's) McKinley Tariff Act of 1890. Regards Duck. NAWCC 118804.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Duck,

Thanks for the info.

Actually, my recollection was from an old "Antiques Road Show", wherein the "expert" mentioned the 1890's (the date of the Act) but referred to the year 1911. Was there some type of "grandfathering" clause in that act whereby 1911 was the "drop dead" date for this labeling?

Thank you and regards.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greetings Nu2 -- Nope. The specific section of the law
(Sec. 6, page 858 of the _Supplement to the Revised Statutes of the United States_ Volume 1, second edition, 1874-1891, Washington: Government Printing Office, 1891) states, and I quote from my copy of the Act, "That on and after the first day of March, eighteen hundred and ninety-one, all articles of foreign manufacture [etc etc.] shall be plainly marked, stamped, branded or labeled in legible English words, so as to indicate the country of their origin; and unless so marked, stamped, branded or labeled they shall not be admitted to entry." There are, yes, several years that float about the watch and clock community. But I suspect most people just accept them without checking. I'd checked for an article on dating. Regards, Duck

Charles E. Davis

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Deceased
Nov 6, 2000
La Verne, CA
Country
Region
The logo posted in the message above

15.gif

that is the M inside of a diamond and square is listed in the large KK shows the square BEHIND the diamond so the squar is not complete.
I recently saw what appeared to be a Japanese clock with the M in a logo as show here. There was no identification of manufacture.
If it was Mauthe it has been established that Japanese Importer/clock manufacturers did have relationship with Mauthe and used their movements. In fact a version of the eagle was registered in Japan by an Osaka importer in 1924.

P

purdyniki

HELP I have the Mauthe German carriage alarm/music box clock... Need someone who knows about it!!! My father gave it to me before he died and no it's broken. Don't trust anyone with it in the process of fixing it myself but need guidance!!! I don't know much about clocks can anyone help me:???:!!!

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Dear PURDY, welcome to the NAWCC MB. I don't have an answer for your question but repair-orinted readers may not read a message thread titled "German Trademark".

Instead, I would advise you to post your question on the CLOCK REPAIR message board. A title like "Repair advice needed on Mauthe carriage/alarm/music alarm clock" would be a lot more effective.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-