• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

German Trademark?

ChrisBeattie

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2004
Canandaigua, NY
Country
Region
Hello all,

This trademark is on the movement of a clock I recently purchased and I have not been able to identify - Any help in identifying this trademark would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Chris Beattie

ChrisBeattie

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2004
Canandaigua, NY
Country
Region
Hello all,

This trademark is on the movement of a clock I recently purchased and I have not been able to identify - Any help in identifying this trademark would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Chris Beattie

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Due to the generous sharing of Charlie Davis' research efforts, the trade mark of Horse Jumping over the World, is shown in his lists as that of Owari of Nagoya Japan.

ChrisBeattie

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2004
Canandaigua, NY
Country
Region
Thank you for your reply Les,
Is the wonderful work of Mr. Charlie Davis pulished for the public? If so where might I locate it as I would also like to try and date the clock? Thanks again for the help,
Chris

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Regarding the date your Owari clock may have been made is subjective. Many of the older Japanese clock manufacturer trade marks can be traced from around 1890.

Most of their clock cases of the period prior to WWI were copies of American wall clocks then in style. Mostly short drop octagon and later the plain box clock. Their principal market was the orient where style wasn't important because for most buyers, it was their first clock and for many it remained their only clock until after the conclusion of WWII.

Many orginally had instructions in the asian language of the intended market for use of the clock pasted on the back. (Chinese, Korean and of course Japanese) Some still have the instructions and a very few may have a retailer's label that may have a warranty date or other data giving some idea of the year sold.

I think that if you post photos of the case, face and the movement in a new query entitled "Age of Japanese Clock?", some observers may be able to comment more about your Owari clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyghost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-