German tower clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by lukeadare, Aug 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lukeadare

lukeadare Registered User

Jan 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    After repairing clocks for a little while, I am now getting involved with my first tower clock. According to graffiti, the clock was installed in 1907. The setting dial is perfectly clear, except for the makers name! The only legible text is "... Sohne, Turmuhrenfabrik Munchen." The clock drives 4 dials & strikes only on the hour. The going train has some broken teeth on one wheel. I have circled one (rear photo), but there are about 5 missing.
    My questions are:
    1 - Does anyone have any clues as to the maker?
    2 - What is the accepted technique for repairing missing teeth?

The clock is in a small town, 2 hours out of Adelaide, South Australia. The local community are very keen to get their clock up & running again.

Regards,
    Luke

Adare Clocks
    South Australia.

Moonta Town Hall.JPG Setting dial.jpg Front 1.jpg Front 2.JPG Rear.jpg Graffiti.jpg

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Had you dismissed the notion of cutting a replacement wheel for it. I would consider a patch job to be only temporary.

3. lukeadare

Jan 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Doug,

A new wheel is not out of the question, but it is beyond the scope of my equipment, so would be a subcontract job.

Luke,
    Adare Clocks
    South Australia

4. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's going to be a big project to replace that whole wheel. I think because of the thickness of the rim and that it's running off the escape wheel dovetailing in a piece encompassing several teeth would be a fine repair.

5. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a Kuhn & Sohn that made tower clocks in Germany around 1908. I've got two images of their clocks but they don't look anything like the clock in question.

Frank

7. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Letting in replacement teeth would be the path I would take on this clock. Teeth have been replaced on wheels since the beginning of time, pun intended, on clocks of all kinds. Properly done the repair will be nearly invisible and as strong as the original teeth, or perhaps even stronger. It is of course quite important to find why the teeth failed. They usually fail because bearings have worn to the point of allowing the mating pinion to spin, or there was a casting flaw, or a cable or something fell into the train and a ham fisted winder cranked on it without removing the obstruction.

8. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a Mannhardt with Ammant´s escapement,google for pics HTH
    Burkhard

9. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I´d agree with gvasale and Jim DuBois that dovetailing in a piece of brass of the total width of the rim and to about half of its thickness ,soldering or even better silversoldering in and then cutting the teeth would be an apropriate repair in my eyes.A lovely clock by an emminent german maker,well worth being repaired!
    Burkhard

10. lukeadare

Jan 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you to all contributors.
    Much appreciated.

Luke

11. lukeadare

Jan 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    With the wheel repaired it was replaced & the clock was running again. In the next few weeks it was found that the clock was a poor time keeper. So, a colleague & I returned & did a tooth count on the going train & calculated the beat at 1.071 sec/beat. We got close to that with the Microset & left it to the local clock keeper to monitor & do the final regulating.
    A few more weeks passed & then another call. The clock has lost 4 hours & the strike is out of synch. Another 2 hour drive & we could find nothing wrong. I set it running & reset the strike (countwheel) & left it with the beat still at around 1.07sec/beat.
    No further calls. No further problems.
    Did "Freddy the Fiddler" (thanks Chris McKay!) visit the clock?
    Also, being a turret clock beginner, I only discovered after reading this forum, that the cover over the going train winding arbor was there to activate the maintaining power.

Regards,
    Luke

Adare Clocks
    South Australia.
    P1060332.jpg P1060333.jpg

12. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. lukeadare

Jan 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard, you are correct. The maintaining power system is essentially the same as the one you looked at. This one is a "V" shaped bracket which is moved by the shutter over the winding arbor. On top of the "V" is a pawl which engages on the second wheel & on the lower arm is a small weight. It only provides power for about 10 minutes, so it needs to be reset during a full wind. You can hear a thud as it drops off.

Luke

14. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mannhardt did live (and die) in Munich=München, but he had no sons-at least not in his firm;so it is Neher&Söhne in München.
    Best regards
    Burkhard

15. electric_turret

electric_turret Registered User

Mar 20, 2009
    West Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Luke,
    I can confirm that this clock is definitely a German Neher tower clock. The setting dial has had the name of Neher rubbed off for some reason but as a collector of German Tower clocks and having a Neher myself i know that is who made it. It definitely was not made by Mannhard although they both worked in Munich.

Regards

Andy