Clock German Time Bomb Defused!

pgram

NAWCC Member
Mar 12, 2011
Loiano, Italy
Country
Hi All,
After reading very carefully all the available threads on the Elgin S. Haller "german time bomb", I found one on eBay and I decided to have a look at it.
Many years ago, I was trained in the Army as an EOD blaster (well, I mean defuser) and WORKING VERY CAREFULLY and wearing all possible protections, I followed the instructions posted by Mervyn Passmore and I succeded!
I have no intention of posting a tutorial about this procedure; I can only say that it is REALLY dangerous and not for the faint of heart!
I'll report only a useful hint: After removing the escape wheel and the pendulum (with the movement wheels blocked) I CAREFULLY removed the blocking peg... and nothing happened.
While keeping one wheel blocked with a gloved finger (I was wearing cut-proof Kevlar gloves) I tried to find the blocking reason; I carefully tried to rotate the first wheel... and instantly the train started wheezing at a good speed!
Braking was possible, only because those gloves are REALLY cut-proof; and it took a LOOONG time!
Now I'm facing a problem. I was initially planning to consider the possibility to reproduce those (in)famous nylon spools using, maybe, brass; and so, render the bomb really innocuous.
But inspecting the nylon spools I found that the material was not brittle at all; the nylon is still elastic and seems quite new and not degraded.
It is not impossible, although quite difficult, to reproduce those spools using brass; and if I can produce a pair, maybe I can produce some more (for other clocks) but now I'm in doubt. Will that worth the candle?
So here I am, looking for the wise advice of the REAL experts...
I'm attaching some photos, explaining why the movement was frozen: somebody sprayed the pins with some industrial lubricant, and with time it became a goo, a sticky black gum with the consistency of asphalt.
I will try to remove it using Benzin first, and then #111 ultrasonic cleaner.
Looking forward to your expert advice...

IMG_3525.jpg IMG_4206.jpg IMG_4231.jpg IMG_6889.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller