German Seikosha???

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
Hello,
This clock puzzles me.
The appearance looks much more sophisticated than a Japanese clock.
The movement looks German. Springs are in barrels.
But it has a Seikosha logo on the back plate (nothing on the dial).
Anybody have a guess?
thanks.
c

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It's all Japanese, clarke. Not much chance that the Germans would have needed to import Japanese movements.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
It is an "unpected" style for a Japanese clock, at least of what I have seen. Possibly made to compete with German clocks? I have also seen Japanese clocks with cases made along the lines of Anglo-American clocks.

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
There seems to be a persistent thought among some people who, having been old enough in the fifties to have learned that if it was marked "Made in Japan" it was probably junk. That has not been true for quite some time now, but the immediate reaction remains. I know I have to keep telling myself it is not true. In fact, many years ago, I read a report done by some private testing firms that the 6.5mm Arisaka (the standard weapooin of issue to Japanese troops in WW II) was actually stronger than any other standard bolt action rifle issued to other countries troops. Edward Demming, following WW II, showed the Japanese how to excercise quality control and improve products as they were being manufactured. They learned that lesson well. So what they applied to such things as Toyota automobiles, they also applied to clocks and watches, and machine tools, and steels. It is no surprise that the Seikosha clock is very similiar to German ones. I have worked on several, and found them to be well made, with good fit and finish, and relatively easy to service. I own a Croton automatic wristwatch that I wear on a fairly regular basis. The movement is a 21 jewel Miyota, and is as good as any average Swiss watch.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The older japanese movements were modeled closely on American (and perhaps German) movements. The few I've seen seem to be of a quality equal to many American movements of the same period. And why not?

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
As I have said in previous posts,I own 3 Japanese clocks including one calendar and they are great clocks and underpriced

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Is it just the light and marks in the brass? Or was there something stamped under the Seikosha mark?

Zep

Charles E. Davis

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Nov 6, 2000
La Verne, CA
Country
Region
I want to hear about the logo photo.
But in the meantime Seikosha did sell various styles of clocks similar to the German manufacturers starting just prior to the teens. Among the many pages of clocks shown on the Timekeeper web site at:

http://www.kodokei.com/index.shtml

covering the products of Seikosha are a number that would match this clock. They featured springs in barrels. In most instances I found the sales catalogs were directed towards export.
Except for machine translation, I have virtualy no background in Japanese. This web page is the best source along with the Japanese Yahoo auction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eeclone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre