German round top case clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by DR.K, Mar 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    IMG_0759.jpg IMG_0755.jpg I now have 5 German tall case clocks. The is the first Urgos I have acquired. The Art Deco case is quarter sawn oak with chrome weights and silvered dial with chrome ring and black numbers. Since we are sheltered in place I needed something to keep me busy. It uses a 101cm length pendulum and carries #6475 and Foreign stamp along the base

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i've always been a fan of german 3 weight clocks from this era. my ex wife and i had an urgos round top 3 weight. it was actually my first clock.

someone did a good job on that seat board. these clocks pretty much always had seat boards that were at least 5/8", but more likely 3/4"or so thick. since this one appears to about 5/8 cabinet ply and has been countersunk, i would guess that this movement perhaps isn't the one this cabinet was born with. i don't know that i have ever seen one of these with chrome weights, but they seem to look fine in the cabinet. looks like a really nice clock to restore.

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know Brian. Perhaps you are correct but plywood has been around for 100 years.

Ron

4. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking Urgos clock. The chime barrel reminds me a bit of Mauthe.

5. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Posting a photo of the completed clock as Brian hadn't seen a chrome round top.

IMG_0797.jpg

Andrew G., Dave T and brian fisher like this.
  6. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very elegant clock. This one would have been made for the British trade, going by the 'Foreign' moniker. The case would be British made, noted by its somewhat 'boxy' appearance compared to the German-domestic case outlines. Deep sonorous chimes are another feature of these clocks and a contributing factor to their popularity. The short pendulum is unusual but not unheard of. While I do not have an exact date for the first usage of chrome on these clocks it was another recurring feature during the 1930's.

British companies including Enfield and Norland made very similar clocks during the 1930's. They look virtually indistinguishable from the British cases with German movements at a casual distance.

7. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting and informative comments. I'd like to know more about that.

How can I look at a clock of this type and identify it properly?
    I've got what I call a German round top, but that's just because it looks like it to me. Haven't found any markings on it at all.

8. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,

CCF provided some very good information with respect to the OP's clock.

The Merchandise Marks Act of 1926 ("MMA"), a U.K. law, required clocks imported into the U.K. to be marked either "Foreign" or with the country of manufacture. For reasons unknown, most manufacturers elected to use "Foreign", possibly because (1) most clocks with the nomenclature "Foreign" were from German manufacturers and (2) it was more palatable to U.K. purchasers, having been less than ten years from the end of WWI.

The MMA also allowed an "imported item" with "substantial change" that occurred in the U.K. to be considered and marked as a U.K. made product. "Substantial change" is not defined, but casing in the U.K. appears to be substantial change. We have seen this occur mostly on the dials - i.e., dials with a U.K. origin stamped on them and a movement with "Foreign" stamped on them.

If the OP could provide a clear picture of the dial, this would add more evidence to CCF's attribution of a U.K. case.

With respect to your clock, if the dial and movement are unmarked but the movement is German, then either the clock was made for the local German market or was made for export to the U.K. prior to 1926. Pictures would be most helpful to determine the origins of your clock.

Regards.

chimeclockfan likes this.
  9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Can you post a photo of the movement. Even though you say there are no markings on it, there are folks here who can identify German movements even without the maker's name or logo. Of course a photo of the whole clock would also be good.

JTD

PS I see new2clocks and I were typing at more or less the same time.

10. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I don’t have a large photo of the dial pan on this clock but by enlarging the full length photo of yesterday you will see a chromed outer ring with chrome numerals and hands on a silvered ground. The face is inscribed at its base with “Foreign“

11. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks guys, I know the movement is Keininger, but that's all I know.

I hope I'm not sidetracking the OP's original thread. But since you asked, here are some pictures of my clock.

Keininger Westminster 008.jpg Keininger Westminster 011.jpg German Original Kienenger longcase 1.jpg German Grandfather.jpg Kieninger 6045 Grandfather7.jpg

12. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nothing on the dial, and only what I've posted on the movement.

14. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your Kieninger clock would be a German-marketed original from the 1930's, likely brought over to America during the cold war years unless family history suggests otherwise. The ornate brass dials were still popular in Germany but do not appear to have caught on in foreign markets such as Britain. It is interesting to compare it to the later movements found on modern clocks such as Howard Miller. As with many things, the older Kieninger and Urgos movements are higher quality. Basically your Kieninger is an older version of Movement H and the Urgos is a precursor to the modern UW03 series.

Dave T likes this.