• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

German pocket watch - please help to identify

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Welcome to the Message Board.

Your watch appears to be a Swiss made cylinder escapement watch from about 1885-1910. The crown/crescent hallmark is for cases sold in Germany.

Deer

New User
Feb 9, 2014
Country
Thank you the answer.
I would like to be it to be repaired. Maybe I find somebody though I don't know how to get a minute-hand.
If I'm twirling the crown, the left-bottom gear-wheels are circling but nothing happens.

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
From your description, the mainspring is probably broken.

Deer

New User
Feb 9, 2014
Country
Thank you!
Now the watch repairer saw it and it's ure that the mainspring is broken and the minute hand also (we must seek another one).
Do you have any idea what E&F mark means in the case?

Mikrolisk

Feb 16, 2011
Germany
www.mikrolisk.de
Country
Region
That E&F mark came several times along my eyes, but alas I never found an identification for that. Hints a highly welcome.

Regards, Andreas

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
Thank You

Do you have any idea what E&F mark means in the case? How we can combine E&F with J.W.?
What do you think about it?
E&F is the casemaker, it should be Erard and Favre who were casemakers in LeLocle.While JW Johan Wittenberg was the importer in Breslau and the movement was built by Cortebert, the words Systeme Glashuette were widely used because German watchmaking could not satisfy the German market, so traders imported watches from Switzerland with Systeme Glashuette lettering that customers were used to.
Regards enrico

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
E&F is the casemaker, it should be Erard and Favre who were casemakers in LeLocle.While JW Johan Wittenberg was the importer in Breslau and the movement was built by Cortebert, the words Systeme Glashuette were widely used because German watchmaking could not satisfy the German market, so traders imported watches from Switzerland with Systeme Glashuette lettering that customers were used to.
Regards enrico
Thank You so much ,now everything it's clear for me , let me express respect to your knowledge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilotken
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-