German old Postmans ?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by oreel, Nov 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. oreel

oreel Registered User

Aug 25, 2011
    netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought an old, Postmans clock with a small front , 20cm diameter and lots of work as several parts are missing. my question though is that on both main wheels you can read something like "TRISCHLER" and "ASCHCLACH". Does sombody know what this represents ?
    Also in the bottom wood there is a stam with " IW " .?
    Always like to find where the clock originates from. This is black forrest Germany I believe and might be from say 1850 - 1875 :???::???::???:

IMG_6475.JPG IMG_6474.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6458.JPG IMG_6457.JPG IMG_6456.JPG IMG_6448.JPG IMG_6445.JPG

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, this is a Black Forest clock made for the export to England. The name and the address on the dial are for the seller in England. it seems that Tritschler is the name of the maker of the wheels and the stamped sign on the wooden frame are for the maker of the frame. I would date the clock a bit earlier, maybe around 1830.

Uhralt

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It is rather strange - seems to me that the writing on the wheels ought to be Tritschler (rather than Trischler) and Schonach, rather than Schclach (which isn't a word). That would be a recognised maker's name and a town. Could it be that some Lehrbub (apprentice) was not a very good speller? I don't know, but is rather odd.

I like the dial very much, the wording is beautifully painted, one of the loveliest I have ever seen on this sort of clock.

There were many German clockmakers in various parts of the UK during the 19th century and T, Schey was doubtless one of them. Leading Post Street in Scaroboro[ugh] still exists, though now mostly a car park.

A much nicer-than-usual version of a very common clock. Congratulations!

JTD

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Funny,

I used to live in Freiburg in the Black Forest area for 20 years, and being familiar with the name Tritschler I just added the t without realizing it. With regard to the name of the location I wonder if it might be Haslach, which is close to Freiburg (actually now a part of the city).

Uhralt

5. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The woodcutters even have their stamp on the bottom plate. A clock that is signed more than most examples. Signatures aplenty.

6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would suggest the parts suppliers signed their work because somehow it would assure their payment.

7. oreel

oreel Registered User

Aug 25, 2011
    netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for the information. Looking on internet I see there is a lot of info on Tritschler family also as clockmakers and I agree it looks odd with the names beeing written as they are. Maybe with the combination of the names TRITSCHLER and/at HASLACH or SCHONACH I can date the clock more precise ? Work in progress :)

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

You may be right, but I'm still saying SCHONACH. Right number of letters, only two in the middle need altering, and the Tritschler clockmaking dynasty were in Schonach.

JTD

9. oreel

oreel Registered User

Aug 25, 2011
    netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What intrigues me is that on both main wheels the same spelling is used which indicates for me a kind of mal was used which then was apparently wrong. I would guess the maker would not allow that at the time but .............?
    Kees

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think the words were punched on by hand. The next movement made might have had the correct spellings.
    JTD