• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Help German Kieninger Clock With a 130-020 Movement

James Macnamara

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Hi there

I recently acquired this clock movement, and I'm trying to get it working. I think there's some trouble with the floating balance spring, and I'm not sure how to fix it, I' pretty new to clock repairs/collecting, so any help is much appreciated.

James

20210113_172827.jpg 20210113_172810.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The balance often gets blamed for a poor performing clock when it isn't at fault. Why do you suspect the balance?

James Macnamara

Jan 12, 2021
Country
The balance often gets blamed for a poor performing clock when it isn't at fault. Why do you suspect the balance?
When I try to set it going, it feels and sounds as if it's rubbing against something. It stops after one tick, I suspect it may need a new spring, but I don't know for sure at this point.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
When I try to set it going, it feels and sounds as if it's rubbing against something. It stops after one tick, I suspect it may need a new spring, but I don't know for sure at this point.
That doesn't sound good. If it's rubbing on something, you should be able to see it. Is it interacting with the escapement OK, or can you see an issue there? Maybe the fork is not engaged with the roller correctly?

James Macnamara

Jan 12, 2021
Country
That doesn't sound good. If it's rubbing on something, you should be able to see it. Is it interacting with the escapement OK, or can you see an issue there? Maybe the fork is not engaged with the roller correctly?
When I set it going (I've set the rollers so they are in the exact middle, looking at it straight on, as I read in the Hermle service manual) the rollers generally slip out of the fork. It only runs long enough to put the fork across back and forth once. So I think I can see an issue with it's interactions with the escapement/fork. I don't know if it should (and it may be hard to get a picture to show you) but the edge of the rod that attaches to the balance wheel, seems to rub against the wire at the bottom, So the rod sits at a slight angle I think, it is possible that the jewels could be worn, but I would've thought that at the end of each rod, it would be easy to see some sort of jewel that the wire passes through? And I can't see any.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can remove the balance without messing anything up. Just be careful of the fork when you remove it. Then give it one full rotation and see how long it runs on its own. It should keep rotating a couple of minutes. If it doesn't, then you have an issue with the balance. If it does, then we can look at the fork position to see how that's doing.

James Macnamara

Jan 12, 2021
Country
You can remove the balance without messing anything up. Just be careful of the fork when you remove it. Then give it one full rotation and see how long it runs on its own. It should keep rotating a couple of minutes. If it doesn't, then you have an issue with the balance. If it does, then we can look at the fork position to see how that's doing.
I have removed it before, I have tried running it like that, I think the longest it ran for was maybe 5 seconds, when I got the clock the whole escapement needed put back together, and the balance needed installed too.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Then it probably needs to be rebuilt. David LaBounty does that, and is very reliable.

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
Cousins has replacement balances for £38.80.

Balances

However, the rear time winding arbor hole looks pretty worn in the photo, so there are likely other issues with the movement, including the likelihood of plated pivots. Cousins has this movement for £145.00; Butterworth in the States has it for $135 plus shipping...

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
Y'all be careful buying these 130 series hairspring balances. I went through three that had no lower cap jewel. Finally I installed a floating balance. That was a couple years ago.hopefully Hermle has corrected the problem since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jespercal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre