German Hook + Spike clock, 8 day with quarter hour repeat on 2 bells

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Chris Radano, Sep 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Chris Radano, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    By Gerog Peter Ploninger, In Place at the Court(?). This is not a very photogenic clock! But it has a nice, quality, interesting movement. It's missing a side door, 2 bells, weight and pendulum. But this movement is in very good condition. It's an iron plated movement. 9" dial appears to be pewter.
    The tips of the hands were replaced, not sure if the hands are original.
    I don't know if the alarm was added later, the alarm disc partially covers the dial signature. But the alarm spring appears to wind! I didn't look at how the repeat function works. I think a string is pulled to set the repeat, then it's powered off the weight? It's a difficult clock to handle. And I've been busy with a bracket clock, but this was the last part of a late Summer trifecta.
    Let me know if you can find anything from the pics. I think this clock was made in Munich, but I don't know for sure. The seller is based near Munich. I would date in the 2nd quarter of the 18th C.

German Hook + Spike Clock 011.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 001.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 002.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 003.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 004.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 005.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 006.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 007.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 008.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 009.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 010.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 012.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 013.JPG German Hook + Spike Clock 014.JPG

RAK likes this.
  2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You definitely seem to have a good one there.

I see what you mean about the hands now, I had thought they were original but that's an odd construction. I agree it really does look like the alarm is later. Fascinating clock all round.

3. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At first I thought the alarm was original, but now think it was added. The top dust cover is now in 2 separate parts. The alarm disc has the round top of the "8", instead of the flat top "8" which would be earlier. So, if the alarm was added, perhaps the hour hand is newer as well, as it needed a tail. Another note about the hour hand- the clock could probably run the way it is, but the hour hand is very loose and can move significantly on the hex arbor. I think the stem of the minute hand may be original. So if the alarm was added, it was added when matching hands were the style. Not to mention, the alarm work appears more heavy compared to the smaller, finer wheel work of the original clock. But if the alarm was added, overall it fits pretty nicely.

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very interesting find! The location could be what is today "Stadt am Hof", a part of Regensburg. Google it and you will find some more information.

Uhralt

Chris Radano likes this.
  5. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Uhralt. That is very helpful information. Actually, the person who sold this movement if I remember correctly is in Regensburg. About 60 miles N/NE from Munich, I was off.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That makes it even more likely! It seems this clock has been there since it was made. Amazing.

Uhralt

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris Radano likes this.
  8. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, that is a fine clock. If you look at the top of the standing clock, it's in the form of a South German mantle clock of the same period. I think possibly the standing clock was designed to resemble a pedestal clock.
    If the maker is related, the hook and spike clock is much more humble...although the movement is good quality. That's good stuff!

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are right. It looks like a mantel clock standing on a base. The upper part even has legs.

Uhralt

10. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    an excellent clock and also quite a coincidence AFAIC.... i just bought something with similar attributes off of eBay... check out the alarm function (even though there's nothing on the hour cannon to trigger it... hmmm).

i've cleaned it up and installed some bushings and it's been running for a while... still working my way through it. definitely a seconds (or at least, long) pendulum but a 32-tooth escape wheel.

the wood barrel makes me think mora... curious about everyone's thoughts, especially when made?

s-l1600-11.jpg s-l1600-10.jpg s-l1600-9.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To trigger the alarm there was likely a wooden barrel with a slot cut into its side and an alarm scale on top. This barrel would have a hole that fits over the hour canon with a slight friction fit. The alarm lever rides on the outside of the barrel. The alarm is triggered when the lever falls into the slot. Black Forest alarm clocks have such a mechanism.

Uhralt

12. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would love to see a follow-up once it's cleaned up!