German Grandfather Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Malcolm9517, Apr 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm9517

Malcolm9517 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have inherited a grandfather clock which my parents purchased in Germany in the 1950's. The DRP No. is 234626. There is also a four digit number 2186 below the DRP number. The DRP No. I have found dates the patent to 1910 or 1911. Can someone help identify the specific date and the patent information? Note there are crossed arrows above the DRP No. Does anyone know the meaning of the arrows?

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 George Nelson, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Hi,

Hi, Malcolm9517,

Welcome to the Message Boards!

The crossed arrows are the trademark of the Hamburg American Clock Company. Pictures of the clock in question would be most helpful in providing you with more information.

Happy Easter,

George

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fixed that for you!! :)

Kurt

4. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Kurt! I'm getting REALLY old! Glad someone is watching out for me. Now, what if I need help crossing the street?

Warmest regards,

George

5. Malcolm9517

NAWCC Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks George and Kurt for the quick responses. I shall send pics once I figure out how to do that in a reply. I can't for the moment figure that out.

6. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Malcolm,

Simply use the small white camera icon on the toolbar. It is relatively self-explanatory. Looking forward to the pics!

George

7. Malcolm9517

NAWCC Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will get on the PC. Right now I'm on iPhone and not seeing the white camera icon. Will come back.

8. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurologist
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. Malcolm9517

NAWCC Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Malcolm9517, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Thank you so much tarant. As promised George and Kurt here are the pics of the clock. Excuse the ladder and clamps but I had to improvise on getting the clock going again as the case is still at my mother's house.
    View attachment 340513 View attachment 340514 View attachment 340515 View attachment 340516 View attachment 340517 .

I would also like to get a part for this clock. the picture below shows the broken part. One of the thin metal "foils" from which the pendulum is suspended is broken. Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement?
    View attachment 340518 View attachment 340519

10. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    These folks should be able to help you get the suspension spring you need.

http://timesavers.com/

You might want to measure the spring you have before looking for another.

11. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    The part you are referring to is the suspension spring. You will have to replace the whole spring, not just one of the 'foils' - the suspension spring is supplied as a finished piece.

You can get a new one from any of the clock material suppliers (for instance Timesavers in US) and I am sure there are similar suppliers in Canada (Perrins?). Also you could unpin the spring from the place where it is attached at the top and take it to a local clockmaker who might very well have a replacement suspension spring for you. Most clockmakers have a wide selection of suspension springs on hand.

Hope this helps.

JTD

PS Upstateny beat me to the send key!

Robert Gift likes this.
  12. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
  13. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Malcolm9517,

Thanks for the pictures- a very nice clock indeed! I love the design of the weight shells...

As said above, the suspension spring is a no-worry, easy replacement. At this point, I would be careful in running it, as, depending upon the weight of the pendulum itself, there is a fair possibility of the other leaf of the spring coming loose, and the resulting crash to the floor of the pendulum could cause irreparable damage to the bob.

A great inheritance to be sure! :clap:

Best,

George

Robert Gift likes this.
  14. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Upstateny, I think that might well be the right spring, but don't forget Malcolm is in Canada. Not sure, but it might work out rather expensive to import from US.

H&W Perrin in Toronto sell the same springs (www.perrinwatchparts.com) which might be easier.

And George, personally, I wouldn't run it at all with a half-broken suspension spring.

JTD

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #15 Willie X, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    I agree, it would be best to disconnect the pendulum until the new suspension spring is installed. Might be a good idea to order two or three springs and use the one that looks and fits the best. Older springs were usually thinner than ones offered today. Often you will need to use a thin shim at the side of the slot or slightly enlarge the hole in the spring for the top attachment. On old clocks always modify the new spring to fit without changing anything to do with the old clock.
    If you are lucky, the only thing you will need to do is readjust the rate a bit.
    Willie X

16. Malcolm9517

NAWCC Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so much for all the help. I have removed the pendulum and the suspension spring as I had to get exact measurements of the latter, and have followed your advice and removed the pendulum. Unfortunately, I could not get the exact one at either Timesavers or Perrins. However, I was able to order it from Cousins Material House Ltd. in the UK. A little more expensive there due to shipping costs but will be around $20CA.

PS I have a couple of other clocks that I am interested in obtaining info on. One is my grandfathers pocket watch which I posted in the Pocket Watch section and the other an old mantle clock which I have yet to post.

So greatful to you all.

17. Malcolm9517

NAWCC Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  18. Robert Gift

Robert Gift Registered User

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Tree service "Branch Manager". Medical courier
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1 suspension ribbon is broken.

I would tie twine to the pendulum shaft hook so that if the other ribbon breaks, the pendulum cannot fall to the floor and become damaged.
    Cables have been attached to carillon bell clappers so they cannot fall. I think this was done at the Sather Tower of the University of California, Berkeley. (Maybe earthquake mitigation.)

Oh. Already done! Nice clock!