Eureka German Eureka

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Erst, May 26, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Erst

Erst Guest

I bought this German Eureka a couple of days a go and it seems to be in good working order. Unfortunately I don´t ko´now much of it, so hopefully someone here could help me out! How old is it? how many are manufactured? Who is the manufacturer? Any help will be appreciated!
    /Erik from Sweden
    Eureka (101kB)

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Your "hureka" is a type of replica of the older English or German made Eureka battery clock.

Yours was made for the Forestville Manufacturing Company (US) probably in Germany. They are noted for overheating on the US 120 volt 60Hz mains power.

There's more about the Forestville Eureka clock in older threads on this Message Board. Use the ADVANCED FIND feature using Forestville Eureka as a search argument.

3. Erst

Erst Guest

Mine is not going on 120v or 220v, it has 3 batteries in the base and it IS manufactured in Germany. I suppose it isn´t that old, but how old is it?

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Erik, these clocks were made in the 1950's, and had no relation to the original British (or German) Eureka clocks, even though they are somewhat based on the original designs.

The first models made were powered via a transformer located in the base. Unfortunately they gained a reputation as "house burners" because on occasion the contacts would stick, the transformer would overheat and catch fire, etc. The later models were made with accomodation for three "D" cell batteries. As Les points out, if you will search this Forum for "Forestville Eureka" you will find a good bit of info on these clocks.

John Hubby

5. Erst

Erst Guest

ok, So I suppose it´s wrong to call them "Eureka"? What brand is it, and what ´s the proper name?
    /Erik