German Clock Family Heirloom

Robert111

Sep 1, 2016
Country
My wife owns an old clock handed down through the family. She's always been curious about it and has almost no information other than it was a wedding present to her great aunt and uncle in 1913.

She would like to know anything about its quality and age. It has a mahogany case, so I'm thinking that's a sign of good quality.

It seems complete, but she's been reluctant to wind it. I volunteered to hang the weight and wind it, but she would rather not take that chance. Is she being overly cautious?

20210615_111929.jpg 20210615_111551.jpg 20210615_112235.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
My wife owns an old clock handed down through the family. She's always been curious about it and has almost no information other than it was a wedding present to her great aunt and uncle in 1913.

She would like to know anything about its quality and age. It has a mahogany case, so I'm thinking that's a sign of good quality.

It seems complete, but she's been reluctant to wind it. I volunteered to hang the weight and wind it, but she would rather not take that chance. Is she being overly cautious?

View attachment 659089 View attachment 659090 View attachment 659091
Welcome to the forum.

Your clock was made by Junghans, a German company and one of the most prolific clock makers for many years.

Your clock was made in the 19teens. If you move the pendulum crutch to show the markings (see your third picture), we can let you know what year the movement was manufactured.

Regards.

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
It looks like it was made in second half of 1910 . Hank the pendulum on it and try to run it . What can it hurt ? Long term , it should be overhauled as it may never have been done . it's dirty and would accelerate wear .

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Taking a cue from the instructions, if original to the clock, the Vereinigte Uhrenfabriken Gebrüder Junghans & Thomas Haller AG, Schramberg, was founded in 1900 with the merger of Thomas Haller and Gebrüder Junghans. There seems to have been a parting of the ways (informally?) in 1902, but no formal dissolution of the merger until about 1911. So, 1910 might be the correct year for the clock movement.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, she is. As has been said above, hang the pendulum, wind the three winding arbors, give the pendulum a nudge to start it swinging and see if it runs - you're not going to damage anything by trying.

But as has also been said above, it very likely needs a good cleaning and overhaul.

JTD

Robert111

Sep 1, 2016
Country
new2clocks, Senhalls, Steven Thornberry, and JTD,

Thanks very much for the welcome and all the replies. I'm happy to have such a close estimate of the age and advice about the service it will need. We will probably go ahead with that.

There is a clock repair business located about 40 minutes away and we can take it there. Would anyone hazard a guess as to the approximate cost (within $200) of cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment. Realistically, the clock may need something more than this, but the cost of basic cleaning, lube, and adjustment is the minimum we can expect. Thanks again!

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Here's two descriptive catalogs showing some clocks similar to your own.
Thomas Haller is still referred to in literature as late as 1910:

The chime rod unit is known as the Rohr Gong, covered under DRP 154523.
See the patent here:

The usual rule of clocks is 'If you don't know when it was serviced, it's time to have it serviced'.
Your clock looks to be in good physical condition and quite clean.
Be sure that your clock repair business is certified and can uphold quality work: there are many small-town 'repair' shops
that have done lackluster work due to lack of experience. Depending on how much needs to be repaired, will dictate the final cost.
Having the original directions and chime music score is especially unusual as this piece tends to go missing or withers away with age.
You have a very nice clock and it's certainly worth keeping around.

Robert111

Sep 1, 2016
Country
Here's two descriptive catalogs showing some clocks similar to your own.
Thomas Haller is still referred to in literature as late as 1910:

The chime rod unit is known as the Rohr Gong, covered under DRP 154523.
See the patent here:

The usual rule of clocks is 'If you don't know when it was serviced, it's time to have it serviced'.
Your clock looks to be in good physical condition and quite clean.
Be sure that your clock repair business is certified and can uphold quality work: there are many small-town 'repair' shops
that have done lackluster work due to lack of experience. Depending on how much needs to be repaired, will dictate the final cost.
Having the original directions and chime music score is especially unusual as this piece tends to go missing or withers away with age.
You have a very nice clock and it's certainly worth keeping around.

Robert111

Sep 1, 2016
Country
chimeclockfan

Wow, ccf, those original catalogs are gorgeous! Congratulations on them. So interesting! I'd love to have one of those alarm clocks!

Thank you for sharing and for the suggestion to check the shop's certification and reputation.

That clock and the directions for the chime are typical of the things my wife's family has passed down. There must be what I would call a PPD gene (Preserve. Protect. Defend.) :)

Reactions: chimeclockfan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller