German-Cased Ogee Clocks

George Pins

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2017
I'd like to throw this one out to the membership, because I have never read of or seen an American brass-movement 30 hour weight-driven Ogee clock in a German-made case, supposed produced in Germany for sale there, 1840's era, no label, until recently when one was offered to me. Could this be? I have an open mind. George

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
There certainly were German ogees, and recently we had a very informative thread on such.
Unusual, Thick Veneered, Reverse Ogee Clock

Are you certain the movement is American and not German? Do you have pictures of clock and movement? That would help us.
Ditto!

There were Black Forest made ones in rather nice veneered & inlaid cases. To me, the movements look hand made. The tablets were painted tin (a practice carried over on some early PA clocks).

When the German makers later organized into American style factories, they produced models that in many instances were dead ringers for the American clocks, including the movements, they were attempting to copy...& from which they sought to recapture the market. Sometimes the labels even look American.

Love to see pix.

RM

Reactions: Steven Thornberry

George Pins

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2017
I bought the clock, so I will be able to post photos in a few days. I can say that the movement is stamped "S Thomas World Operations." Isn't that odd? George

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I can say that the movement is stamped "S Thomas World Operations." Isn't that odd?
The movement may well be German but attempting to pass itself off as American. They did that a lot. As RM said:
When the German makers later organized into American style factories, they produced models that in many instances were dead ringers for the American clocks, including the movements, they were attempting to copy...& from which they sought to recapture the market. Sometimes the labels even look American.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I bought the clock, so I will be able to post photos in a few days. I can say that the movement is stamped "S Thomas World Operations." Isn't that odd? George
New one on me.

Now I really want to see pix.

I have seen ST clocks that say "Seth Thomas USA" some of which may have been intended for export.

RM