German Briggs Rotary Pendulum Clock

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I see one of these on an auction site. Very interesting looking clock. Seller says it's in excellent working condition. Anyone familiar with this clock?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I think some here have one. More than likely it's a reproduction. You can use the search tool on this site to find past posts.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I did a google search or NAWCC. They are interesting, but like you said, it's a repro, probably from china.

Nope, it's German made.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Here´s what I know: after making some money with his Horolovar firm Chares Terwilliger traveled to Germany in the 60ies.He visited several clock making firms in the black forest region of germany, especially Tobias Bäuerle in St.Georgen und Staiger also in St. Georgen and comissioned eye-catching historical clocks to be reproduced by them. The german facturies were verry much interested in these orders since they provided them with $$ and the wage rates were low at that time in Germany compared with the USA. So both firms reproduced the Briggs Rotary Clock and the Ignatz (according to a patent granted to Jerome in Oct. 1883) respectively. The clocks were exported to Horolovar and sold by them in multiple batches.
Bäuerle being a maker of quality produced a quality clock with thick brass plates,cut pinions and high gear count and sturdy pillars while Staiger´s copies of the Ignatz flying pendulum clock are of somewhat lower quality. Both clocks are not well known for their time keeping abilities but they are fun to look at.
The main issue of the Briggs/Bäuerle clock is the spring (if it´s broke) because it´s not availiable from Horolovar any more while Horolovar still has replacements for the Ignatz ball and line.
BTW both are not torsion clocks in the verry sense of the word...
HTH
Burkhard

Reactions: Jonas

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Thanks Burkhard. They are interesting looking clocks. The one I was watching went from $86 to $202 in the last 15 seconds. I was thinking I might go $100, not $200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller