• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Georges Robert Chronometer

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
Can anybody tell me anything about my watch? All the bells and whistles are under the dial as you can see. I was told when I bought it that it was a very high grade movement. Was that just a sales pitch? I know absolutely nothing about a Chronometer but I've always wanted one. It's in an 18K case and is in pretty good condition and the watch works great. I can't find anything on the net with the exception of more watches. Anything would be appreciated !!

311348.jpg 18sappleton.JPG 311345.jpg

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
It certainly appears to be high grade, but I would call it a chronograph, and not a chronometer. A chronometer that was a contemporary of yours would most likely use a detent escapement rather that the lever escapement found in yours. And certainly, watches resembling yours were occasionally fitted with detent escapements, but most of them would be time only. Nice watch.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
It is a lovely elegant watch, LX. The quality of finish on the movement looks of the best quality, and I'm especially taken by the beautiful gold centre seconds hand..

The chronograph feature is operated by the button in the band at the 12 o'clock position. I would assume it's a 3-stage push button - from its present rest position, push once to start the centre seconds hand, push again to stop it, and again to fly it back to the 12o'clock rest position.

Pritchard doesn't list a George Robert (which surprises me if this is a typical example of their work) but of course Robert is a very famous Swiss watchmaking name.

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
Thanks guys for the information. I'm going to send it out to be cleaned before I run it.

Darnok

Feb 9, 2011
Munich
Country
Region
There is a George Robert, who overtook in second generation a watch factory in Villeret, Switzerland, together with his brother Charles in 1878.
Later it became Minerva, which is more familiar.

Thomas

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
That's great information, Thomas. Do you know how (if at all) he was related to the more famous Roberts?

Darnok

Feb 9, 2011
Munich
Country
Region
I dont`know if this George Robert signed on the shown watch is identical to the George Robert in the "Minerva" history.
But it seems likely and suggesting the watch to have been produced around 1875, it could have been finished by the George Robert in Villeret.
You can google "Minerva-Faszination Chronographen" and will find an article wrote by Hans Weil in Berlin.
The same dates are seen in "Wikipedia Minerva Uhrenmanufaktur".
All articles in german.

Thomas

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
Thanks Thomas for the help. Although I don't read nor speak German that is my ancestry and I should be ashamed. I think it's a nice watch that I will hold on to at least for a while.

Darnok

Feb 9, 2011
Munich
Country
Region
Daniel,

this is definitely a high class watch.
The ebauche (raw movement) was obviously produced by one of the famous producers of high class movements around 1870.
It will be hard to point out a name , but it could be Audemars, LeCoultre, Piguet and other members of the swiss upper class of producers of the time.

Some adress this type of movement as "Audemars/Juergensen type II".

The watch shows all high class specifications : 20 jewelled basic movement, wolf teeth, a big "chronometer" balance, diameter 19,5mm or more, rounded edges and highly polished parts.
The origininal case, probably 18k, seems to be of high quality and to my experiance will reach more than 50% of the total watchweight.
The construction of the chronograph is an early one with features of early LeCoultre chronographs (google: Faszination Chronographen:Das Grand Maison LeCoultre im Vallee de Joux).
Written in german but filled with pictures .

My advice: keep the watch, it will rise in value.

Thomas

Daniel W.

May 31, 2012
Alabama
Country
Region
Thomas,
Thank You !!! I appreciate your detailed explanation. Yes the case is 18K and heavy I might add. I will do the google thing and look around. Again many thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent