George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by deelki, Nov 23, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. deelki

deelki Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 10, 2009
    The is a ladies pocket watch in which I would like to know the maker of the movement.
    It has wolf's tooth winding, a 14K JS case with the same serial number as the movement- No. 82476.
    I have seen this movement configuration before, but can not remember who made it.
    Note the watch does not have seconds.
    Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    deelki,
    Your movement looks more European than American,so I moved your inquiry to that forum for more comments.
    Thanks

3. Douglas Romero

Douglas Romero Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 3, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Deelki,

Interesting...Definitely European. I can't tell the maker's name but I presume it of decent quality. I know 'decent' does not pin it down for you. I have seen 3 George H. Ford watches and since I grew up in the New Haven area and went to school there, I had to purchase one at a J&H auction some 14 plus years ago.

From the Internet:

"GEN. GEORGE H. FORD, Commissary-General:

Is a prominent citizen of New Haven, where he is engaged in the jewelry business, his establishment being one of the largest and best appointed in New England. He is an active member of the New Haven Chamber of Commerce, and is one of the directors of the Grilley Company. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Young Men's Institute at New Haven, Chairman of the donation committee of the Orphan Asylum, and takes an active interest in all public matters involving the welfare of his city. General Ford is a man of marked executive ability, and occupies a leading business position at New Haven. He is also associated with prominent social circles in the city, and is a gentleman of superior attainments."

George Hare Ford.jpg

My watch is marked Agaton, and when I had the movement overhauled, I was told it was very similar to J.J. Badollet. A few fellow collectors took a long look and said it is an ebauche made for Patek. I have been kind of stymied, but most pleased with my purchase. It may have been a watch that George H. Ford had made for personal use, and looks almost unused.

Yours being in a JS case is a very good sign since Jeannot & Shiebler made very fine cases.

Anyhow for a contrast, here are some pix of my George H. Ford watch - about 14 size.

Agatonback1.jpg agatonbezel1.jpg agatoninside1.jpg agatonmvmt1.jpg

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Sep 3, 2000
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Jeff Hess, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    I really wish these American company, American owned and American CASED watches with Swiss movements would stay in the Amrican Forum, or perhaps in both forums.

But whatever.

No, the ladies watch way above is not a Patek. Never made by Patek. Does not look like a Patek, nor does the serial number range indicate a Patek.

Cool watch though and thanks for sharing!

Jeff

5. deelki

deelki Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 10, 2009
  6. deelki

deelki Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Douglas,
    Thanks for the information, and the photos of your watch. It's a beauty. You are correct that Jeannot & Shiebler made very fine cases. They are my favorite.
    Best Regards, Denny

7. deelki

deelki Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Tiffany swiss simular to  George H Ford movement-2.jpg

Here is a Tiffany watch movement that is similar to the one I posted in the George H. Ford movement identification question.
    I thought maybe it would help.

8. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Yes it would help. What is this watch?

9. tgarnold

tgarnold Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    I know this is an old lost thread, but I've come across the same movement and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on who made it. The movement serial is only 9 behind the Ford above and I can date it to the late 1880s by the case. I'm sure Jeff Hess is right that it is not Patek, but wouldn't serial 78000 to 83000 be the right time period for an 1880s Patek?

10. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 11, 2007
    Medical Product Design Engineer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes

11. tomczc

tomczc Registered User

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    It is absolutely from Patek! Tiffany and Patek had been use this movement for their high quaility lady pocket watch. Try to ask for the archive from Patek.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

I have one with the same movement and close serial number which is from Patek. Patek issued the archive document. I think this one most from Patek.

Tom

12. tgarnold

tgarnold Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks Tom, I will request an extract. Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I can add some of the movement, but it is the same as the others. It is in a Tiffany marked 18k case. Does anyone recognize the dial maker? It looks like there is a blue star stamped on the back.

13. tomczc

tomczc Registered User

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #13 tomczc, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
    Hi Jeff,

It is not the typical Patek. But Patek did produce a short period of time such interesting lady pocket watch caliber. See the photos, Patek issued the extract.

14. tomczc

tomczc Registered User

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I don't know the marker on the back of the dial. The dial is real beautiful