• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

George B Owen Steeple clock

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I picked up this nice old steeple clock a while back and I didn't think much of it. I was in the process of selling one house and moving into the new house I bought so it had to wait. I finally got around to dusting it off and giving it a good once over to get it running. When I looked at the label I was surprised to find it was a George B Owen steeple clock. I am not entirely unfamiliar with Owen having owned a few of his parlor clocks over the years.
What surprised me is that it is just a plain old steeple clock I didn't think Owen made them like this? At least I have not come across one like this.

I know he made steeple l clocks but they were fancier than this. I originally was going to sell it but now that I know it is an Owen I may hold on to it for a while. The case is in decent shape. It has its original finish, some loss of veneer, original glass, period frosted glass. It looks like it yellowed over the years. The dial is faded, it has the original bob, and a very nice label in it still.

20210418_151044[3759].jpg 20210418_151054[3758].jpg 20210418_151105[3757].jpg 20210418_151108[3756].jpg 20210418_151120[3755].jpg 20210418_151129[3754].jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Can you post a picture of the label showing Owen's name? And can you post a picture of the movement?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Can you post a picture of the label showing Owen's name? And can you post a picture of the movement?
I finally found the name, but would still like a better picture of the label and a picture of the movement, if you are agreeable.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I finally found the name, but would still like a better picture of the label and a picture of the movement, if you are agreeable.
Hi Steve I was hoping you would comment on this clock. i know it is one of your areas. If you zoom in on the lower left side of the label you can see the name George B Owen. i will get a picture of the movement asap

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Russell, what address is given for Owen, if I may ask? My eyes are dim, I cannot see, etc.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Russell:

The movement looks like a New Haven. Below is an example of a similar, but later, movement (later EW bridge design).

O.B. Mvmt Front.JPG

The same movement as yours in a similar steeple case is shown in Tran's New Haven book on page 301, figs. 1191 and 1192.

Perhaps in this case, Owen was simply the retailer, not unusual for a NY clockmaker. I wonder whether this clock might have been sold during his years at 325 Hudson St., NYC, operating as G.B. Owen & Co. (1854-59). I suppose it might also have been sold by him when he was at 25 Hudson St., NYC, during his years in business with Henry D. Clark (Owen & Clark) in 1856-1861/2.

I also can’t rule out that Owen acquired the movement from New Haven and put it in a case acquired from another source.

Last edited:

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Russell:

The movement looks like a New Haven. Below is an example of a similar, but later, movement (later EW bridge design).

View attachment 651044

The same movement as yours in a similar steeple case is shown in Tran's New Haven book on page 301, figs. 1191 and 1192.

Perhaps in this case, Owen was simply the retailer, not unusual for a NY clockmaker. I wonder whether this clock might have been sold during his years at 325 Hudson St., NYC, operating as G.B. Owen & Co. (1854-59). I suppose it might also have been sold by him when he was at 25 Hudson St., NYC, during his years in business with Henry D. Clark (Owen & Clark) in 1856-1861/2.

I also can’t rule out that Owen acquired the movement from New Haven and put it in a case acquired from another source.
Whatever the case maybe it is a fascinating clock. You explanation makes sense to me. I as thinking that maybe after the fire he purchased some movements and tried to start up his business again purchasing movements for his cases?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I as thinking that maybe after the fire he purchased some movements and tried to start up his business again purchasing movements for his cases?
I assume you are referring to the 1879 fire that destroyed the factory of the second George B. Owen & Co. Your clock would have pre-dated that company by several years. Assuming the movement is original to the case, the style of the EW bridge is the earlier one used by New Haven until about 1870, when the style shown in the movement I posted above was adopted.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I assume you are referring to the 1879 fire that destroyed the factory of the second George B. Owen & Co. Your clock would have pre-dated that company by several years. Assuming the movement is original to the case, the style of the EW bridge is the earlier one used by New Haven until about 1870, when the style shown in the movement I posted above was adopted.
That would be the fire I was referring too. I also thought that maybe the movement could have been re-cased, but there isn't any signs of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carouser
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-