• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Geoffrey Beene Pocket Watch

pmurphy

Aug 26, 2020
Country
So I got a Geoffrey Beene pocket watch from my mother-in-law for Christmas. Geoffrey Beene is actually a fashion clothing brand who's sister brands include Van Husen, Calvin Klein and the like. They sell watches at Kohl's, Macy's, and Wal-Mart. I appears that they don't market pocket watches anymore but their fashion watches retail for only about $25. Although I heard my mother-in-law was getting me a pocket watch she is on a fixed income so I knew it wasn't going to be a gold-filled Waltham or anything like that.

My question is since I don't actually have any money in to is it worth upgrading? The crystal appears to be cheap polystyrene plastic with some minor flaws on it but I would like to replace it with something better quality. Also the watch is probably new-old stock and doesn't work at all. It doesn't say if it's quartz so it might be a bad battery? Would a better movement be possible? I do have a small collection of the proper tools (some are Bergeon) so I was going to perhaps use this watch as a guinea pig of sorts.

I know what you are thinking, polishing a turd, but it's actually a nice-looking watch and not one of those scary-looking "skeleton" cheapies from Ebay that looks like it was a prop for a horror movie. Also I don't want to appear ungrateful for a gift and that I can tell her I'm actually using the watch. Sorry for the awful cell phone pictures.

20210102_222437.jpg 20210102_222225.jpg

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Replacing the crystal would cost more than the watch. Open the back and you can replace the battery, maybe a 364 or 377, the back should just pry off. I know it is nice looking, I have a couple of these type pocket watches, they keep decent time and can take a beating too, just don't get it wet or feed it after midnight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nauman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-