• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gents Pul-syn-etic Edward Glasgow Ship Clock

malloy1

Nov 6, 2013
Brighton, CO USA
Just picked up this slave clock, and was wondering if anybody can help me locate the ship it came off?

It's a brass Gents marine clock marked on the face as "Edward Glasgow - Pul-syn-etic", and the movement is marked as being inspected on 9-15-25. I assume that the clock was made for a ship called the "Edward Glasgow" or a ship called "Edward" out of Glasgow, Scotland?

Very heavy brass clock, 5" dial, and I have it running like it should (30-second pulses). Doesn't look like it ran since it was removed from the ship.

I looked on the internet, but couldn't find a ship by either name in commission around 1925.
It would be interesting to find out if the ship was a warship or passenger ship.

I have another Pul-syn-etic clock made in 1931. Very cool 12-inch cast iron clock I have hanging in my kitchen (last picture). Some of my favorite clocks.

Paul

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
If you look at [MAIN]http://www.glasgowhistory.com/buchanan-street.html[/MAIN] and scroll down nearly to the bottom to a response by a Becca Wilkin, she alludes to a business called Edward & Sons, The Jewellers and Silversmiths Company, Show Rooms 92 and 96 Buchanan Street. I suspect they supplied your slave.

Sorry the link doesn't seem to work but if you copy and paste it into your browser it should be OK.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Most likely the whole clock was made by Gents, with the seller's name added to the dial.

malloy1

Nov 6, 2013
Brighton, CO USA
I did find another marine clock on the net with the Edward of Glasgow name with the same dimensions and look (below), not with the "pul-syn-etic" movement.

I took a couple of photos of the movement on my clock (below). The inspection date of "15-9-25" with the initials "SJ" or "ST" on the movement bridge(below).

My other Gents clock had "28-10-31" with the initials "DM" on the movement bridge. I came across a gentleman (Colin Reynolds) who worked for Gents of Leicester that knew the initials belonged to a fellow worker named Don Maunder. Don must have been on the last few years of working, and Colin must have just started.

Paul

Paul movement sm1.jpg Initial.jpg edward EG3.jpg

Last edited: