Gents Gents master clock power source question.

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by timelyrestorations, Mar 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I have just purchased a Gents Pul-Syn-Etic master clock. The seller had replaced the slave movement in the door with a quartz unit, as he did not like the impulse sound. He kept the original slave movement which I have just reinstalled. All else seems to be there. Am I correct in assuming I would hook up a 12 volt power source to the two terminals pictured in the second photo below?
    Regards,
    Doug

gents1.JPG gents2.JPG

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i think you want to use the two terminals on the upper inside left and right of the case... where yours shows a thick white wire connected on the left and some kind of capacitor thingey on the right... but check the sticky thread (at the top of this forum) and all will be revealed:

Gents - GENTS C7 master / transmitter tips & info

3. Chrisb

Chrisb Registered User

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Engineer
    Fourways, Gauteng, South Africa.
    Country Flag:
    Hi Doug,

The thick white wire, blue electrolytic capacitor, black diode on the blue cap, and wires attached to the blue cap are an untidy modification to replace the original, green 'tin box' capacitor, shown in your pic. The original wiring of the transmitter to the slave should appear as in the pic's referred to in the hints / tips link provided. In the link pic's, the green capacitor and bobbin coil are mounted in a different position in the transmitter case.

It would not be advisable to attempt to re-use the green capacitor in your set up.

The whole arrangement of the transmitter and slave impulse movement should be in series. Ie the transmitter armature contact in series with the transmitter coils which in turn are in series with the slave movement coil. The power supply is applied at each 'end' of this series arrangement.

For a 12 volt DC power supply the arrangement would need an additional resistance of 24 ohms at 3 watts or more included in the series circuit, assuming the transmitter and save coils are the usual values of 30 ohms (15 + 15) and 4 ohms respectively. Your transmitter should have a 'Rheostat' fitted in the transmitter case to introduce this additional resistance. As

The polarity of the DC supply should not be important, but would be critical where dioed and/or electro cap's are used as spark suppression across the armature contact.

Hope this helps,