"Geneva stripes"

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Mar 6, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you know what ticks me off? the use of the term "Geneva stripes" to describe the high polishing (sometimes we call it "damaskeening") of movement plates.
    The Swiss use this term always in their advertisemnts like it is big deal.
    My question is "Who started this practice first?" Was it us? I remember that celebrated study the BHI did that definitivly answered the question (siding with us Americans) as to "who copied who" in watch design and mass production capabilites a few yers back but does anyone know for CERTAIN who first did "Geneva stripes". Shouldn't it be called Waltham Stripes? or "Hamilton stripes" or just "Good old definetly USA so don't mess with us stripes"? Just wondering.

2. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you know what ticks me off? the use of the term "Geneva stripes" to describe the high polishing (sometimes we call it "damaskeening") of movement plates.
    The Swiss use this term always in their advertisemnts like it is big deal.
    My question is "Who started this practice first?" Was it us? I remember that celebrated study the BHI did that definitivly answered the question (siding with us Americans) as to "who copied who" in watch design and mass production capabilites a few yers back but does anyone know for CERTAIN who first did "Geneva stripes". Shouldn't it be called Waltham Stripes? or "Hamilton stripes" or just "Good old definetly USA so don't mess with us stripes"? Just wondering.

3. hc3

hc3 Registered User

Aug 29, 2000
    Country Flag:
    The earliest I have seen it published was in a watch catalog (English) from the 1890s.

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "English stripes"?

That is REALLY depressing.

Since my intitial post I have been looking at all the pocket watch movements laying about in our office and I can assure you were damaskeening way earlier than that.

I guess we will may never know when the first "Straight line" demaskeening was done.
    But something tells me it was us Americans who did it first. I just cringe when I see the Swiss making a big deal out of "Geneva Stripes".... oh well..

5. hc3

hc3 Registered User

Aug 29, 2000
    Country Flag:
    As usual, I failed to make myself clear. The English catalogue used the term Geneva Stripes.

I believe there is a French term, also, flowers of something or something flowers.

The earliest watches I have seen it on are Swiss fake Waltham style key winds, so that is the 1870s probably.

I hope it's an American invention too. I'm going to start a thread on it o the PW and 149 boards.

6. Harold Visser

Harold Visser Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Gilbert Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff, I recall being told by Jon that a few E. Howards around the 5,000 ser. number range were gilt damaskeened versions. That would put the date around the early 1860s. Certainly seems like an American watch company was the first!
    Harold

7. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thanks Harold...

We have moved this discussion to the pocket watch chapter..

jeff