Clock Geneva Stops for English bell and gong Bracket Clock

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
I have a large, early English three-train bracket clock --- ebonized with ormolu -- and someone took the geneva stops (male and female) off long, long ago. I was hoping to find a replacement for them ---- if anyone knows of some, I'd be thrilled to hear of it. Best wishes. Dave

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic. London, UK
Country
Region
Geneva Stops or Stop-works are often removed by a repairman because they are difficult to set up. They are not essential to the running of the movement, they are there to control the spring to the middle portion of it's torque curve and thereby improve accuracy of timing. They are often found discarded in the bottom of the case, have you checked that?

Richard

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
What type of clock is this? Maybe a picture of movement?
I inherited a bunch of removed and replacement ones, but would need to know the measurements and how many turns they should allow.
Dan

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
It’s unusual for an English fusee clock to have Geneva stops. They are more often found on Viennese and German clocks.

English fusee clocks use a pivoted barbed arm (*) for a stop.

There are always exceptions.

Pictures of the movement would help.

* also called a “stop finger” or “fusee iron” and probably has some other names.

Ralph

Last edited:
Reactions: novicetimekeeper

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
It’s unusual for an English fusee clock to have Geneva stops. They are more often found on Viennese and German clocks.

English fusee clocks use a pivoted barbed arm (*) for a stop.

There are always exceptions.

Pictures of the movement would help.

* also called a “stop finger” or “fusee iron” and probably has some other names.

Ralph
Hi there --- thanks for clarifying --- the bracket clock is not a fusee --- it is a straight barreled spring -- I can't photograph the movement mostly because it is entirely in pieces. Sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdminter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre