Geneva Stop on Carriage Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Robert Ryan, Mar 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    I am very much a beginner, but was surprised to find this in my French striking carriage clock. Any further information welcome. I am replacing the mainspring in the hope of making this wonderfully sounding clock more accurate. Thanks.

~Bob

IMG_4181.jpeg IMG_3342.jpeg IMG_4180.jpeg

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock was made by Couaillet and afaik it isn't especially unusual to find Geneva stop work on carriage clocks. Why do you think replacing the mainspring is required?

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, not uncommon. Usually only on the time side.

Uhralt

4. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks jmclaugh. Appreciate the information. To my neophyte eye, I have cleaned it, oiled it, the platform escapement appears to lively with ample movement ....but it just wont run slow enough....gains about 10 minutes in 24 hours. The adjustment will not slow it down enough. So my very uneducated approach now is to replace the mainspring. When I removed the current spring it did appear to be set....meaning it didn't expand much after being removed from the barrel. I welcome your advice on the matter.
    ~Bob

5. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it is exactly as you say....time side only. Thanks Uhralt

~B

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd think the problem lies in the escapement rather than the mainspring but I'm sure others on here will know more more about it than me.

7. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    If that is correct...then it's off to a professional....I have not the courage to deal with the platform.....at least not at the moment.....then why do I want to collect carriage clocks ....it's a mystery.

What tells you that it is a Couaillet? Thanks again for the response.

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert,

If a lever escapement is showing a gaining rate, it may indicate that the balance amplitude is too low. One way to investigate this is to take a short video of the balance wheel in motion and then view in slow motion.

Regards,

Graham

9. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Graham, It's a cylinder escapement. Once I install the mainspring, I'll do just that...and I'll upload the video...if it doesn't fix the problem.

~Bob

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bob,

Ah, that's different, a cylinder is a frictional rest escapement and will tend to compensate for changes in mainspring power because an increase in spring strength is balanced by the greater friction of the escape wheel teeth on the cylinder.

Both the escape teeth and the cylinder can wear quite badly, so that's worth checking as well.

You should still try to determine the balance amplitude once you've replaced the mainspring.

Regards,

Graham

11. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Graham, I'll be very curious what, if any, affect the new spring may have. You are probably correct in your assessment ....but working on cylinder escapements looks beyond my skillset...for sure.

More later....

~Bob

12. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    The common issues with a gaining escapement rate are, distorted hairspring coils allowing a coil or coils to touch one another, magnetism, causing the coils to .attract and touch one another, or a piece of debris or dirt resting on/in the coils. All of these conditions effectively shorten the hairspring, and will cause a gaining rate, if it doesnt stop the clock.

Also, if the hairspring it outside the regulator pins, dending, it might cause a gaining rate..

Ralph

13. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Hi Ralph

I will attempt to inspect for conditions as you say. To the very untrained eye it appears to have the proper amount of arc....and also appears to have strong movement.....I've certainly seen worse.

Thanks for your input.

~Bob

14. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The style of the arrow on the backplate Bob. As you say platform escapements should be left to repairers who are experienced with them which is more than most of us are, no reason not to collect clocks with them though, at least that's why I have some.

15. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that, jmclaugh. I do really enjoy carriage clocks....I've got 5...and 3 of them run.....not too bad an average. Some day I hope to get a repeater....but undercurrent circumstances...not going to happen.

16. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Ralph,

I spent some inspecting the escapement and the action of the hairspring. It appeared that the spring was stuck in the regulator pins. When I moved the regulator it distorted the shape of the spring. A little delicate fiddling with the pins seemed to free up the hairspring. Might that be the cause of my initial problem of gaining time? If I understand this correctly....essentially the regulator was unable to make any adjustments.....but that's just my very amateur theory. Anyway thanks for heading me in that direction...along with others.

~Bob

17. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the spring is stuck to the regulator pins the clock will run fast. The spring should freely oscillate between the pins so that there is a time where it doesn't touch any pin. It seems that something made the spring sticky, maybe some old oil? It might be a good idea to use some naphta on a Q-tip to carefully clean the spring without disturbing it.

Uhralt

18. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt, will do...great tip.....

~B

19. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Ah ha! The Q-tip and naphtha treatment did the trick. Over that last 24 plus hours the clock is keeping great time. Such a small but important remedy.
    Thank you Uhralt! ...and thanks to all with your help in sorting this out....very valuable forum, indeed!

~Bob

20. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad I could help!

Uhralt