Geneva Brand Wrist Watch

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
I recently acquired a 21 jewel, self-winding Geneva watch (at a VERY reasonable price) which was probably produced in the late 50's or early 1960's given the size and style. Was the Geneva brand like Benrus where a Swiss movement was added to a US made case or did they buy movements from elsewhere? I know very little about this brand or it's history and any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, JeffL

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Welcome,

The names Geneva and Geneve are frequently used as brand names for watches. Since the name cannot be copyrighted, it has little or no meaning when determining a source. If you can show pictures (good, fucused, well lit, BIG), of the outside front, outside back, inside back, and the "works" (the movement), we might be able to offer a bit of information. Basically, it is a generic (SWISS?) watch.

Jeff Hess

Sponsor
Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Correct.

It is NOT a brand name. For years it has been nust a generic term for a watch with a Swiss movement.

Last year I saw, for the first time, a watch marked Geneve, that has a Japanese movement.

Hilarious.

Geneve or Geneva is just a city. And just means it is generic and "supposedly" Swiss.

Jeff

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
Grenchen.....Geneva... I've seen several watches with that name, all nice steel cased with good ETA movements. Omega sold watches with that name as well.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions