General Time Corp ATO C-Cell

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by THTanner, Feb 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know anything about these or if they are worth trying to repair. This came in this funny clock that seems to be made of either cork or paper mache. I could do nothing with this General Time movement, so I swapped it out for a AA cell quartz movement for the customer. They said they had paid a dollar for the clock at a garage sale and just wanted it to keep time.

The Maltese hands are tin? or zinc and in good shape and the square on the minute hand arbor is quite small.

Obvious C cell corrosion did minimal damage to the works, but left quite a stain in the battery box. What usually goes out on these? It seems to have no interest in running, but the hair spring looks to be in good shape and turns freely. I could detect some magnetic field, but did not really do any special testing.

I am just curious about what is usually done when these quit and what to test electrically before a disassembly and cleaning.

thanks

IMG_4051.JPG IMG_4052.JPG IMG_4053.JPG IMG_4054.JPG

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I´m interested in these electromechanic movements and in my experiance the various contact points often are the source of trouble and the reason for not running.These movements can be dismantled completely.Check the battery contacts and clean them from oxide,especialy the - side and check the points where the wires are soldered on.Chances are good that it will run afterwards.The plastic case usualy cleans up nicely with a mild dish washing agent.
    Burkhard

THTanner likes this.