• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

General question about pendulum lengths

whcureton

Oct 27, 2010
Paradise, CA
Country
Region
Hello Fellow Clock Lovers

Today's question is the June installment of the age old "pendulum length" question. On the back plate of an Ansonia it is stamped "5 1/2" for five and a half inches. When I measure from the top of the pendulum ribbon down to the tip of the threaded pendulum rod I find it is 7 inches long. The pendulum proper, however, is only 4 and 1/2 inches long (this may not be the original pendulum). To provide the correct assembly length what do I measure to arrive at the 5 and 1/2 specification?

Thank you!
- Bill in northern California

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's kind of amazing how many people seem to be so concerned about this number matching something. Never has and never will, just a guideline so the manufacturer can sort the movements into general categories.

My 2, Willie X

whcureton

Oct 27, 2010
Paradise, CA
Country
Region
Thanks Harold and Willie

I'll check the treads Harold ... for a refresher ... I know I've read some of these before because I think this is the SECOND time I've asked this question ... about a year apart ... my memory ain't what it used to be ... hence ... "The June installment of the age old pendulum length question" remark. But I REALLY like Willie's reply ... that's my kind of answer ... I thought I was going to have to sweat various pendulum and rod lengths. What a relief.

- Bill in northern California

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
. . . . and besides WILLIE's observation, not all mfrs. measure the same dimensions. Some measure from centershaft, others from suspension, etc. If the (I'll call it) classic definition is used of a theoretical pendulum then that would be to the apx. center of the bob.
So; If you had a 3" dia. bob, you may measure 5 and 1/2" to bob center and 7" to reg. nut, and inchanda half distant.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
. . . . and besides WILLIE's observation, not all mfrs. measure the same dimensions. Some measure from centershaft, others from suspension, etc. If the (I'll call it) classic definition is used of a theoretical pendulum then that would be to the apx. center of the bob.
So; If you had a 3" dia. bob, you may measure 5 and 1/2" to bob center and 7" to reg. nut, and inchanda half distant.
I'll just add that in theory, 5.5" from suspension point (top pin) to center bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-