General info Wm.L.Gilbert wall clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by curisdad, Mar 23, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curisdad

curisdad New Member

Mar 23, 2013
    I've inherited the wall clock I grew up listening to all day every day for years. It was a wedding present to my parents from their parents. The label on the back is Wm. L. Gilber Clock Co. Winstead, Conn. In pencil also is written what looks like July 10, 1883 and a signature that looks like J. Peters.
    I've looked at other antique clock sites listing Gilbert clocks, but haven't seen another one like this.
    It's not for sale, but i'm curious about it anyway.
    Thank to anyone who can help.

I hope the photos I've tried to attach work.

Attached Files:

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #2 eskmill, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board Cirisdad.

Good photos of your Gilbert UNA DROP ca 1881. You are most fortunate that your clock has the same glass tablet as shown in the 1881 Gilbert catalog.
    Attached is a scan of Tran duy Ly's Gilbert Catalog reprints, showing many Gilbert clocks of the period.

You really do need to learn about the signature. "July 10, 1883 and a signature that looks like J. Peters"There may be a relative of yours that purchased the clock originally or....it may be the name of the seller or store salesman.

I personally have a family clock that has written on the back....."Buck Robinson bought April 2, 1862. fifty cents owed" Buck Robinson was my grandfather's uncle Buck.

Attached Files:

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock. I must be missing something Les, the tablet I see isn't the same. It's very different.

4. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Mea Culpa, the glass tablet is different.