American French English General Feedback on this Mantle Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Steve W, Apr 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Donation Service is back after a brief absence to fix the payment service. Please give it a try! Donate
  1. Steve W

Steve W New Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello All,

I'm looking for some basic feedback/comments on this clock...Brand, age, etc. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll do my best to answer. I do know the wood is mahogany.

Willett Clock.JPG

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    More pictures would help, cant say much with one picture.

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    at first glance I would say I’m jealous… But definitely need more photos of movement and the rest that show details clearly. What’s the provenance? what do you know about it?

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

As has been said, we really need more photos, especially of the movement. Otherwise it is almost impossible to say very much except it's a nice clock.

JTD

5. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just based on one photo, I would say english cabinet, but there is a pretty good chance the movement is winterhalder and hofmeier

6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    English, Elliott, late 19th-early 20th. Nice guessing game because the movement is likely unsigned. And triple fusee.

7. Steve W

Steve W New Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm afraid what I know about the clock could be more family folklore than fact, which is why I'm reaching for help identifying the clock. At this point, I have a few pieces of the puzzle, but have any way to verify the story, but here goes...

It's been in my family since since the mid 1940's. My Grandad was an executive with Armour Meat packing Company. During WWII, my Grandad headed up the project of supplying meat to England. At the end of the war, my grandparents, my dad, and my two aunts were invited to London to meet with Winston Churchill. Churchill presented the clock to my family as a gift. From there, it was brought back to the U.S. and put on the mantle at a hunting lodge in Baraboo, WI, which was owned by Armour. When my Grandad retired, it was again given to him and has been with us ever since. Again, great family story, but can't prove how much is fact vs folklore. Hope this helps.

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I suppose Westminster chime on 4 bells and Whittington on eight, with hour strike on a gong? And I think Chris is right about the triple fusee. Shenton's Collectable Clocks shows a couple with what appear to be the same three subsidiary dials, not to mention the same hour and minute hands (pp. 129 & 132). The clocks are both triple fusee. They do not know the movement maker(s), however, but indicate late Victorian. So the guesses go on. A look at the movement might help, but only might.

9. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    The style would definitely indicate late Victorian and the clock would probably be called a board room clock, though why they had loud and complex chiming in board rooms in that era is anyone’s guess.

The date of Victorian probably rules out the family mythology, as if it were a gift from the prime minister he would not have chosen an old clock to give (it would be a bit like giving someone a 1970s clock today). But pictures of the movement would help get a better understanding - especially if there are any marks on the back plate.

10. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Armour certainly sold tinned food, in the UK, in the late 1950s- early 1960s
    I remember the adverts on TV when I was a child

11. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An impressive example of its type. I'd think it is most likely late 19th or early 20th based on the style of the dial and yes triple fusee. There is another example in Collectable Clocks, page 137, with a very similar decoration and numerals on the dial, no date is given for it but it is attributed to F.W. Elliott so presumably unmarked. Difficult to get at I know but pics of the movement may help with identifying a marker.

12. MLS

MLS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Beautiful clock. I saw one 2 days ago much like it and as stated by others it was a Winterhalder and Hofmeier, signed W&H sons. More pictures would be great.

13. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it would be quiet delicate if Mr.Churchill chose a german movement shortly after the end of WW II as an official present for an American citizen...:whistle:
    Burkhard

gleber and MLS like this.