General Electric B3 motor

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by THTanner, Mar 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have in for repair a GE model 414 with the B3 Telechron motor. The coil is good and I am looking at a replacement motor from Telechron directly. Any experience with these replacement motors? They indicate a 5 year limited warranty.

Any other sources of these B3 motors other than a dice roll on eBay ?

thanks

2. swolf

swolf Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2002
    MA
    Country Flag:
  3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My conclusion as well - I spoke with them and it seems their 5 year limited warranty is about as good as it gets.

4. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    What about the B motor that Timesaver and Merritts have? Are they a replacement for Telechron B type rotors??

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The B3 motor is magnetic induction drive unit fit into an A/C coil - they have no wires and have to press fit into the coil opening snugly. I have not seen them for sale on other sites except as used and unrepaired. Sadly, they are also sealed and cannot be opened. The most common issue is that the grease inside the case has hardened or gotten clogged with bits of the gear material and they either freeze up - as mine has - or the gears strip. There is a difficult DIY fix if they are simple frozen that involves carefully cutting the weld that holds the plate on, cleaning, regreasing and then solder it shut. It usually is not worth your time, since while you are in there you might as well replace the main gears and to get those you have to practically buy a new motor.