Gebrüder Resch clock.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Gaileen, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gaileen

Gaileen New Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    #1 Gaileen, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    I am a total newbie. Both to this group and to clocks. I just bought my very first Gebrüder Resch. It is a single weight. Serial #28598. The man I bought it from said his father was a collector and that this clock had always run perfectly, but when his father died a couple years ago, no one had been keeping it running. He said he tried to get it going, he adjusted it in several places, but it wouldn’t keep running. So he just left it alone. Now I’m not sure where to begin adjusting, so who knows what he did.
    I’m guessing I should start with oiling it (as per posted in this forum). But any other ideas on where to start? Many, many thanks in advance. I look forward to learning a lot from you folks.

C2DFCE0B-BEDD-42B9-B875-2D43EB0A2E96.jpeg 2430D097-5418-40E6-995E-6CE7618EA508.jpeg

2. Gaileen

Gaileen New Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Here’s a picture of the face.

image.jpg

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board. That's a nice looking clock. I like engraved weight cases.

Check out Beat Setting 101 Your beat is adjusted using the two screws that can be seen at the top in the background of the second photo - see figure H in the post. You should turn the screws the same direction a little bit on each at a time. Don't over-tighten them.

If that doesn't get it going, come back for more suggestions.

Good luck with it.

Tom

Gaileen likes this.
  4. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 new2clocks, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Gaileen,

Welcome to the board.

Your questions would be best served in the clock repair forum.

Perhaps a moderator will move your post. Please do NOT create a new posting - this will just be confusing.

Regards.

Gaileen likes this.
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Leeinv66 and bangster made the move for you. I hope you get the answers you need.

6. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Make sure that the cord from which the weight hangs is not tangled somewhere, for if it is it won't drive the clock. Generally the only way to ensure that the cord is strung correctly is to release the ratchet (we call it a click) on the cord's spool and then pull the cord until all of the cord is completely unwound. Then rewind the clock, hang it on the wall, make sure that the crutch that drives the escapement is connected properly to the pendulum (I'm assuming that the pendulum hangs from the case instead of from the movement) and gently move the pendulum through its range of motion.

If you don't hear a tick, or a tock, or see a very slight movement of the minute hand, the movement is likely jammed in some way.