• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Gear/Pinion Cutting Set?

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I guess what I have here is a set for cutting gears and/or pinions. Beyond that, I know very little about this. Can anyone tell me more about the set?

GearCutting1.jpg GearCutting2.jpg GearCutting3.jpg GearCutting4.jpg GearCutting5.jpg

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
I'm no help in figuring it out; But, it sure looks like a lot of fun.

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
The cutters mounted on wood pegs are for the Ingold Fraise - a very rare tool. You don't show the tool itself. It is brass and hinges in the center, if you have it, keep it with these! The other wheel cutters you show have nothing to do with this tool, but they are quite desirable in their own right. There are a few youtube videos about the ingold Fraise. I do have a set if you need further photos or such.

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
There is a brief description of it's use in Daniels' "watchmaking." Also in Malcom Wilds' "wheel and pinion cutting in horology." Not enough to be useful though. I believe (but am not sure) that one of the Archie Perkins books has a good description of how to select a cutter.

The table shown in Steffens video allows selection of a cutter based on full wheel diameter rather than pitch diameter. Not all solutions are valid as the cutters have 21, 25, 27, 30, 33, or 35 teeth.

I have a copy of this document, which I am happy to share with anyone who PM's me asking for it - you will have to provide an email address as I can't figure out how to attach a photo to a PM. Be warned: It is written in old German and my attempts to translate it using Google Translate have led to some odd results. But it works well enough to get the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-