• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Telechron GE Chime Telechron Symptoms

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Hello, I recently acquired a GE Westminster chime self-starting clock. It has a Telechron B3 (model 59m31) motor.

I believe it is all original and in decent shape. The second hand moves when plugged in and the chimes work on the quarter hour. However, the chimes are slow and sometimes the barrel hesitates. The second hand moves, but at times in a jerky fashion. There is no noise/hum.

Would this suggest that the motor is fine, but the movement itself needs a good cleaning?

When cleaning such a movement, does one simply follow the mechanical movement methods of cleaning?

The label has handwritten numbers "G4/58 AW934J". Any significance?

Thanks!

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
These Westminster clocks put quite a bit of load on the B-3 rotor during the chiming phase. If the rotor is original and has been in operation for most of the clocks life, I can guarantee you that the rotor is well past it's useful life and will have badly worn bushings and gear wheels. This wear will be greatly accelerated if the clock is dirty, worn or problematic.

The ideal remedy for these Westminster style clocks is a rebuilt B-3 rotor and complete servicing of the movement. (this includes cleaning, checking for wear and any adjustments to the chiming mechanism) . This should really be done every 20-30 years or so.

Here's a site with the Revere service manual. Maybe it will help.

Revere Clocks at Silverdollar Productions-Introduction

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
I worked on one of these some time back and there is a thread somewhere. But bottom line one of the gears was badly worn and in my case the B2 rotor.

worn gear spider spring side.jpg

David