GB or Not GB, that is the question

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
I recently purchased what I was told and believed to be a Gustav Becker Keyhole style 2 wt regulator. As I was cleaning the unit, I noticed the absence of the Becker logo anywhere on the clock. The only markings I can see are on the bottom of the movement, it is 3536. Here are some pictures and any help in the determination of the maker would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Jim, it's not likely a Becker without the logo on the movement. One company I can think of with the snail like yours is Winterhalder and Hoffmeier. It is a fine looking clock no matter who made it.:D

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Seconded; In absence of GB logo - unlikely GB.
I suppose it strikes a coil and not a rod or rods? Often, rod assy. bases are clues.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
There are a great many of these German, so-called Vienna-style clocks with similar movements about. And it's hard to tell even with one grouping -- say, the several factories which were termed the Freiburger regulator factories -- whether the often minor differences among the movements were from variation within one firm's productions over the years, or from differences among firms.

Below for example (with the blue background) is an unmarked movement "not dissimilar" to yours. And, as well, another movement that is similar to both, but is known to be from Germania.

The Regulateur-Fabrik Germania was founded in Freiburg in Silesia in 1871. A registered cooperative with unlimited liability, it was one of several factories started by former Gustav Becker workers. And in 1899, it was one of the several so-called Freiburger regulator factories that came together with GB to form the Vereinigte Freiburger Uhrenfabriken Aktiengesellschaft inkl. vormals Gustav Becker in Freiburg in Schlesien.

Regards
Zep

Attachments

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Thanks Harold, Scottie & Zep for the info. I'll finish cleaning it and sit back and enjoy. Scottie, here are pictures of the gong ( forgot them the first time ), I don't think it gives a clue, but here they are.
Thanks again to all.

Attachments