• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

gathering pallet

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
I just finished repairing a Gilbert , made in Japan clock. I have it back together but cant find the gathering pallet. How do I go about getting one?

IMG_20211124_153544.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Your best bet is to look harder for it. But if you have already exhausted every place it could possibly be, I would suspect your options are; find a donor movement, make a gathering pallet, or hope someone has something in their bone pile that might work. I don't have enough spare movements to have a bone pile, but others here do. They should be along soon.

Last edited:

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
I have a few parts movements, if you can wait until Friday, I’ll see if I have something. Where are you located?
Jim

Reactions: Nawcc123#

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep. If it's made in Japan, it's not a Gilbert. If you can't find it, you'll probably be looking for a round GP of the proper diameter to gather the rack. The suspension attachment looks more Korean, but I'm not sure. The good news is that the copying skills of the oriental people are usually pretty precise, so a Gilbert part might fit. Your rack hook must be internal, and stops the train with a pin. That lever under the rack is probably it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NEW65 and Nawcc123#

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
I have a few parts movements, if you can wait until Friday, I’ll see if I have something. Where are you located?
Jim
I looked everywhere. I am not going anywhere with out it so, when you have time to look. I appreciate it. I think that I need a bone yard too. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Yep. If it's made in Japan, it's not a Gilbert. If you can't find it, you'll probably be looking for a round GP of the proper diameter to gather the rack. The suspension attachment looks more Korean, but I'm not sure. The good news is that the copying skills of the oriental people are usually pretty precise, so a Gilbert part might fit. Your rack hook must be internal, and stops the train with a pin. That lever under the rack is probably it.
It is stamped Gilbert on the back plate, no jewel, Mqade in Japan.. The pallet is about a 1/in diameter with one pin. I am sure that you know that ihas a hole in the center and sits ontop of the pin that Iam pointing to in the pictue. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
It is stamped Gilbert on the back plate, no jewel, Mqade in Japan.. The pallet is about a 1/in diameter with one pin. I am sure that you know that ihas a hole in the center and sits ontop of the pin that Iam pointing to in the pictue. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
Sorry, 1/4in diameter

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep. They copy and stamp them to look real, but Gilbert was an American manufacturer and never had a Japanese factory to my knowledge. It was based in Connecticut. Your crutch wire is going to need some attention too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NEW65

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
I looked everywhere. I am not going anywhere with out it so, when you have time to look. I appreciate it. I think that I need a bone yard too. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
I still am missing the gathering pallet. I imagine that there is no where to go for this item but to a graveyard of old clocks. I appreciate your help.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Did you have any luck finding the gathering pallet? This clock wont work without it (humor). Is there no where to go if you know the dimentions?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It wouldn't be too hard to make one if you can't locate one on line.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I looked at the photo again and noticed that there is no rack tail. There is nothing to fall on the snail for the strike count.. I have a lot of old Korean and Japanese movements. I’ll look today and see if I have that one.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I noted that in #5 above Will, but don't see a post for it. That's why I suggested it must be something internal.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
I looked at the photo again and noticed that there is no rack tail. There is nothing to fall on the snail for the strike count.. I have a lot of old Korean and Japanese movements. I’ll look today and see if I have that one.
I appreciate all the help that I get.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Well, I looked more closely at the photo and I do see a rack tail. Hard to see. I think a gathering pallet would be rather easy to make. Just a round piece of brass with a hole in the center. Measure the distance from the arbor to the rack and put a pin at the point where it will lift the rack on each revolution. It looks like the arbor is round and tapered so a round hole is all that is needed.:???:

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Nawcc123#, sorry for the long delay. I had a house fire and have been quite preoccupied. All family is safe and the damage could've been worse, now it's all bout repair and cleanup. Today I had a chance and I've looked through my stash and couldn't come up with one.
Good luck with your search,
Jim

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Well, I looked more closely at the photo and I do see a rack tail. Hard to see. I think a gathering pallet would be rather easy to make. Just a round piece of brass with a hole in the center. Measure the distance from the arbor to the rack and put a pin at the point where it will lift the rack on each revolution. It looks like the arbor is round and tapered so a round hole is all that is needed.:???:
I think that I will try to make one. Thanks

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Looks right. How do I get one or get the dimentions"
I would think if that one appears to be correct, you could compare it to the other parts that have known values, (size), you could extrapolate the dimensions.
If you can make one you will soon be able to know which way to proceed. Good luck!

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Nawcc123#, sorry for the long delay. I had a house fire and have been quite preoccupied. All family is safe and the damage could've been worse, now it's all bout repair and cleanup. Today I had a chance and I've looked through my stash and couldn't come up with one.
Good luck with your search,
Jim
I'm sorry about your situation Jim but glad that everyone is safe. Wish you well with the cleanup and repairs.

Vernon

Reactions: Jim_Miller

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Been there and done that myself. What a mess! I hope your insurance is easier to get along with than mine was.

Reactions: Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Shutterbug, so far the insurance has been great. I have a restoration & cleaning company handling that part. The holdup involves the inspector that has to determine what and why my 5 year old boiler went up in flames.
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-