Gathering Pallet

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by JamesBB, Jan 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JamesBB

JamesBB Registered User

Jan 19, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is the striking mechanism of a grandfather clock I'm repairing. Is there a piece missing? (Gathering pallet?)

Many thanks for any help.

James

IMG_2900.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the gathering pallet is missing. One can see the empty square arbor to which it should be attached.
    Uhralt

3. JamesBB

JamesBB Registered User

Jan 19, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Uhralt. I'm guessing one has to make a replacement? Is there any help here on how to go about doing that?

James

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can buy blanks that you would need to finish to the exact dimensions you need for your clock so that it meshes correctly with the rake. It is easier than making one from scratch.

Uhralt

5. JamesBB

JamesBB Registered User

Jan 19, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, that's really helpful.

James

6. JamesBB

JamesBB Registered User

Jan 19, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    How would one go about making such a tiny square hole in the gathering pallet blank? Are there files that small? Or does one broach it?

Thanks

James

7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have done this by using a square needle file as a broach and hammer it into a starter hole in the work piece. Hammer it in, turn it upside down and hammer the file out, insert from the other other side, repeat until the proper size is achieved.

broaching in progress
    broaching in progress.jpg knocking file out knocking file out.jpg finished finished hand collet.jpg

NEW65 and JamesBB like this.
  8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The gathering pallets available here in the US seem to have a small round hole which could be "squared" using a very small square file or a jeweler's saw with a small blade. Commercially I think the square holes are made using a square broach that is pressed down, similar to the process how the square winding holes of clock keys are made. You could try to make such a broach, but I don't know how realistic that approach is.

You could also "cheat" and use a piece of a pocket watch key with a fitting square and enlarge the round hole in the pallet to accept the piece of the key stem with a tight friction fit.

Uhralt

NEW65 and JamesBB like this.
  9. JamesBB

JamesBB Registered User

Jan 19, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks David and Uhralt; that's very helpful. The squared end on my clock seems tiny…and it's tapered so I'm guessing the piercing saw may be the best option.

James

10. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JamesBB likes this.