Garage Sale Mercy Purchase

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Seawaif, Jul 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Seawaif

Seawaif Registered User

Nov 6, 2017
    Female
    Information Technology
    Vancouver, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Hello Everyone,

Can someone help me identify this old clock that was found baking in the sun at a huge mess of a garage sale by my house? It appeared pretty damaged and dirty from sitting in I assume the garage for years. I figured it would be only good for parts. To my dismay after cleaning, oiling, replacing the suspension spring and bending the leader back into shape the clock runs. Still needs some adjustments and the right pendulum bob. The clock has been running for 24 hours without stopping, chimes on the half and full hour with the sweetest sounding chimes.

As shown in the photos, no makers mark, but does have the French S.G.D.G. mark "Patent without the Government guarantee" . The numbers 492912 and in lower right of plate a 15

I'm wondering if I may be correct in guessing this is a Vedette, in looking at photos of Vedette movements I see a lot of similarities. Hopefully the experts here can provide confirmation or information on this mercy buy at a garage sale. I just couldn't bear to see the clock roasting in the sun despite it being so damaged..

Thanks

DSCF0259.JPG DSCF0245.JPG DSCF0243.JPG DSCF0237.JPG DSCF0252.JPG

2. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    You guessed correctly - it is indeed a Vedette, made around 1940-1950. I presume you have already cleaned up the case somewhat, as it doesn't look as damaged as you say it is. Nice job!
    Regards.

3. Seawaif

Seawaif Registered User

Nov 6, 2017
    Female
    Information Technology
    Vancouver, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Hi Ticktocktime,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did light cleaning of the case. I actually was surprised at how well it did clean up. The veneer on the top of the case is rough to the touch as if exposed to moisture. There are few more things that need fixing or replacing, but I'm most pleased that it is a working clock. And now I know that the mercy purchase is a Vedette.
    Thanks So much!

PatH likes this.
  4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you don’t already know this trick, search the MB for gojo hand cleaner. It comes in a white tub about the size of a cottage cheese container, has the consistency of sour cream, and when rubbed on just with your bare fingers does miraculous restorations of dried, dirty and gunked up wood finishes. add a coat of beeswax after

5. breeze

breeze Registered User
    Donor

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mr. Bruce, I have a question if you don't mind. I believe gojo is a petroleum based product and wonder if it would resist a stain being applied after it's use? Many have suggested it's use and not one complaint about it causing a problem later. I would really like to try it but fear the wood would not accept a water based stain after it's use (the whole oil and water thing). What has been your experience in using gojo and applying a water base stain after it's use.

Best Regards.
    Breeze

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have never tried staining after using for the gojo… except maybe small little nicks that needed covering/concealment.

i’ve done gojo followed by beeswax

7. Seawaif

Seawaif Registered User

Nov 6, 2017
    Female
    Information Technology
    Vancouver, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the tip for using the Gojo for fixing up the veneer on my sweet little Vedette. I will pick up a tub and some beeswax.
    Would anyone here be able to tell me a bit about the pendulum for this Vedette? This one did not have one when purchased. From looking at photos of similar movements around the net It appears that I'm not going to find a replacement from Timesavers. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I was quite amused by the fact that Vedette translated from French to English means "Star".

Thanks in Advance for your replies
    Kat

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Strangely enough, I'm currently amidst disassembly cleaning and rebushing a Vedette. I've never seen one before. It has worn really badly and I'm worried that when I break the plates later this morn, I'll find pivots that need turning down. Yours doesn't seem to have this trademark but otherwise has all the others.

P7091080.JPG P7091082.JPG

9. Seawaif

Seawaif Registered User

Nov 6, 2017
    Female
    Information Technology
    Vancouver, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Hi Roughbarked,

Yes, strikes me as odd that the trademark is not on the movement. But has all other indicators, which is why I posted the query on this forum. It's definitely going to stay in my collection. The two chime rods have a sound I've never heard before. Kind of like the opposite of Bim-Bam or low to high. Sounds very sweet.

Good luck with your Vedette, hopefully by now you have not pulled all your hair out at the work to be done on your clock. But then again, there is always happiness in intelligent effort. And that's why we do this.

10. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Likewise, the chimes on this one are very sweet.

11. breeze

breeze Registered User
    Donor

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Mr. Linde.

Breeze

12. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    typically, I’m only called Mr. Linde when i get pulled over and they asked me to remove my license from my wallet

it’s just bruce :cool:

13. breeze

breeze Registered User
    Donor

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you bruce.

14. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vedettes are well known for their beautiful tones. I own 5 and they outshine everyone on tonal quality. Usually heavy movements and big springs.

15. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    When I say I've never seen one before, in retrospect, I'm wrong. Not this one but I am sure there are others that will eventually come back into the shop like some others I've seen that bear my signature as the last repairer from the 1970's.

16. Michael Settle

Michael Settle Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Seawaif,

On the Gojo hand cleaner, be sure to get the kind that does not have pumice or any other type of abrasive additive.

And Bruce, I just can't help myself but I have to ask. How often do you get called Mr. Linde? ;)

Mike

17. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

thankfully, not too often! (at least in the context implied) :cool: