• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Garage Sale Freebie 2 - Brooks & Son art deco ?

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I was given two clocks today at a garage sale.

The second is a Brook & Son, 8-day art deco(?), mounted in a timber block.

I can't find much information about Brook & Son.

The clock is in good condition, is fully-wound and ticks if I shake it, but stops a short time later. I assume it needs a clean but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any info appreciated.

Brook-front.jpg Brook-front-angle.jpg Brook-dial-cu.jpg Brook-back1.jpg Brook-back2.jpg Brook-back3.jpg

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I can't see how the body and movement is held in. If I loosen the nuts on the four posts, on the back of the body, the posts themselves become loose, but the body doesn't. I fear they are holding the movement in place.

I wonder if the dial bezel is press-fitted, but don't want to risk damaging it finding out. I assume it has to come off to access the hands though.

Suggestions?

caddwg

Jul 4, 2012
Costa Mesa, Ca
Country
Region
Andy:
I have no knowledge of your problem, but congratulations on a nice find. Persistence is probably the key here and is a trait which I know you have. It looks to me like after removing the four nuts and the back plate that the movement should just slide out the front. Possibly it could be a bit stuck or may have a tight fit for some reason. Good luck Andy and I know someone with years of experience will be along to answer your questions. Regards: Larry

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Thanks Larry. This one has me completely dumbfounded.

If I loosen the back nuts, the threads themselves flop around and begin to turn, so I think they are just there to hold the chrome back cover dish in place.

The back of the movement will pull toward the back, but not evenly and not far (it's like the F/S adjuster is holding it in place and I don't know what's going on inside there), and the whole movement obviously can't come out backward with the hands attached. I don't want to push it forward for risk of damaging the dial which I assume is paper since it has brown paper-like spots on it.

I've tried levering the dial bezel off but I'm not convinced that's going to happen either - and since the glass is square, curved and bezelled, I'm thinking I'll cry if it cracks.

My patience has its bounds, and I think it ran out. I am lost.

EDIT: I dug around below the bezel with a painter's spatula, and I believe I have discovered silicone sealant in there. That would explain a lot - and makes the job seem so much worse. I hate that stuff.

Last edited:

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Breakthrough: I cut through the silicone adhesive with the spatula and the dial and movement fell out. I'm certain that should have happened when I removed the chromed rear cowling, instead of me risking serious damage digging around with screwdrivers and spatulas looking for a weakness. Sigh.

Clearly someone has had a go at this before. The movement is dripping with oil of some sort and I think there might even be grease in there. There is definitely grease all over the click. One screw is missing from the case, but it's okay because silicone holds anything together :)

The dial isn't paper like I thought, but painted or enamelled brass, I think. The spots are tarnish around pin holes. I can't think of an easy way to clean this without risking the print. The curved glass appears to be plastic, possibly polycarbonate.

The escapement is a thing of beauty. It should be on the front of the clock!

The escapement is stamped ABEC and, reading through the forum, I think that means this is likely to be a Smiths movement. Not that this means much to me yet.

EDIT: I'm going to post the following repair questions in the repair forum.

Given this has a barrelled mainspring, I assume I can approach dismantling much like a 400-day (let-down first, then disassemble) - but are there any special considerations with that escapement, other than being exceptionally careful? I'll stare at it for a while before making any decisions involving screwdrivers.

Did I mention I love that escapement? (Give me a break, I'm new at this.)

Brook-silicone.jpg Brook-backplate.jpg Brook-escapement.jpg Brook-movement.jpg

Last edited:

caddwg

Jul 4, 2012
Costa Mesa, Ca
Country
Region
Andy:
Great Job; Your definitely on your way now. I'm the same way you are, always apprehensive when I don't understand the whys and wherefores. Good luck: Larry

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,
A very nice acquisition. Brook & Son was likely the retailer. I may be wrong, but the movement looks very French to me. Duverdry & Bloquel could be a possibility. I have one of their "back winders" and the movement is mounted in a similar way to yours. But mine bears their "lion" trademark and yours does not so again, I could be wrong!
Regards.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
the platform=escapement should be cleaned and oiled by someone with experiance in watchwork,the rest of the mvmt. is indeed like a 400dayer and can be done by a hobbyist.Note when loosening the platform that it can be slightly moved in different directions when the skrews are untightened a bit.This serves to adjust the depth of mashing of the platform pinion with the last wheel of the going train.When reassembling put the platform in place and skrew in the skrews,but not tight.Wind the mainspring only a few clicks so that the train is set under power.Then shift the platform so that the last wheel interferes with the platform pinion and drives it,the balance should start to beat;shift it not too tight so that it binds,nor too loose so that pinion and wheel miss each other.There is a "sweet point" when the platform is driven easily with minimal power from the train.If You have reached that point,tighten the skrews of the platform.It's a 7jewel platform.
A nice and good quality clock,congrats!
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Along with the reseller's name (it seems Brook & Son are silversmiths/jewellers), the dial does include "Made in England", which is why I assume it is a British movement.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get the platform serviced by someone else anywhere near here. I guess I could ask around a couple of jewellers. That is the one part that does look impeccably clean compared to the rest, and it ticks away nicely for a while, so hopefully when I've cleaned up everything else, it will do the job. I suspect I do have one worn pivot hole, so that could bring me to a halt because I have no tools for rebushing.

Thanks for the reassembly tips Burkhard. At this stage, I've left the platform attached to the plate and will focus on the big bits. Baby steps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent