Garage Sale find

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by lreyno, Jul 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lreyno

lreyno Registered User

Jan 15, 2017
    Male
    Cumbria
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone I have just bought some clock bits from a garage sale and found these two clocks at the bottom of one of the boxes. I could do with all your expertise to help me work out how old they are. The smaller one is a Rich Leach clock and has a small sticker on the side with c.1800 is this the correct age and who was Rich Leach. The Seth Thomas one I could do with knowing what the face was like as it hadn't got one I need to know what to look out for so I can replace it, I hope you can help me on this.

Lee 309876.jpg 309877.jpg 309878.jpg 309879.jpg 309880.jpg 309881.jpg 309882.jpg 309883.jpg 309884.jpg 309885.jpg

2. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty sure that your clock with the finial and movement but no dial is a Seth Thomas City Series "Dallas." I only know of a few models (The Dallas, The Austin and The Carson) that use this particular movement with the bell on top and original dials for those are hard to find. There may be other models, but they are not known to me.

3. lreyno

lreyno Registered User

Jan 15, 2017
    Male
    Cumbria
    Country Flag:
    Hi inbeat thank you for your reply, looking into it I think your spot on with that. I have seen some on Google images that have gone to auction so I have been able to date it as well. The stamp on the door is the factory and date 1884 but not sure what factory the j is though. A bit more digging might get that answer, but thanks again for putting me on the right track. Let's hope someone else helps me with the other one.

4. lreyno

lreyno Registered User

Jan 15, 2017
    Male
    Cumbria
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone just found out the j stands for October they use A-L for the month it was made which now makes it October 1884

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Richard Leach was a watch and clockmaker working in Islington in the early 19th century, so your date of approx. 1800 may be right. I have not been able to find out much about him, although there are one or two items made by him which you can see if you google his name. Among them is a barometer which has the inscription of Rich. Leach Islington in an identical script and layout as on your clock.

Others may know more.

JTD

6. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Richard Leach movement is quite similar to those found in some 30-hour English made carriage clocks, and some types of sedan clocks, but I have never seen one in a case like this before. These movements are essentially based on watch construction. The ones with the shaped plates, as this one, seem to have been made specifically for use in clocks, while others used watch movements that were re-purposed . The case could be from around the period of the movement, but I haven't seen such a movement in such a case before so it is not clear to me if they started life together. The cases for sedan clocks are usually small, round and flat - made to hang on a wall, while the carriage clock cases for these movements are brass, have a fixed handle and large feet

7. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it could well be a sedan clock recased. The case has a sort of regency look to it but I think it is probably younger than the clock.

8. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #8 Ralph, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    The sedan clock movements were sometimes cased in miniature mantle/bracket clock cases. I have a couple of wrecks around here. I've also seen them in stone cases .

Ralph 310214.jpg

Attached Files:

9. lreyno

lreyno Registered User

Jan 15, 2017
    Male
    Cumbria
    Country Flag:
    The Case I have is only small, around 8-9 inches high. But I can understand that it may not be the original case, the movement does look a bit out of place to the case. But with only being new to all this I don't know what to expect. Thanks for all the replies, I just keep my fingers crossed I might one day fine the bezel and clock face for the Seth Thomas Dallas clock.

Lee

10. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Lee.

To give an idea of some of the other styles of clock that used these movements, here is a carriage clock I recently purchased. This is a typical style for using the shaped movement you have.

The name on the movement of my clock - B Benjamin (for Benjamin Benjamin), is that of the retailer - Benjamin was a general retailer, as described in the old Bailey court records or 1847 when he appears as a witness having been duped when buying stolen diamonds. There is some indication that he was operating from the from the 1820s.

In the book on carriage clocks by Allix, there is reference to this style of "sedan" clock movement also being used in "cottage clocks" which were free standing clocks - I'm not sure if your clock would qualify as a cottage clock. The movement being signed by a London maker possible suggests it has been transplanted, but the case style is very much in keeping with a date around 1830, so I would leave open the possibility that it could be original, although it does look out of place as you say.

I would be interested to know if there are any others with these small bracket clocks and such 30-hour single fusee movements. 310399.jpg 310400.jpg

Attached Files:

11. lreyno

lreyno Registered User

Jan 15, 2017
    Male
    Cumbria
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone does anyone know where I might find a dial for the Seth Thomas Dallas clock or do I just need to be patient, or do I have no chance of finding one?