Gallet Electa Laforge & Valentine Lifetime Series Pocket watch 23 jewels

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Electa was a brand of Gallet. They are still making watches and have a good history. They supplied a lot of watches to the Canadian railroad market and competed in Neuchatel timing competitions.

Very nice item: 6 Adjustments is fairly high grade but not their best. The jewel count is nice and a bit unusual. Typically the 22nd and 23 jewel would be mainspring arbor bearing rather than caps on the third wheel.

The case has some marks that look like they may be from holding the screws of another movement but if a re-case decently done. Another indication of a re-case is that the rim cut out for the balance is off center.

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Laforge & Valentine movements have long intrigued me. They look to be high quality movements, but I have never found out much about them, nor anything about their "Lifetime Series," more about which in a moment.

Early in my collecting days, I purchased an uncased Laforge & Valentine Lifetime Series but of a different design than the one in thread message #1. I cased it in a chrome steel display case. I sold it within a year of acquiring it, not because it wasn't a nice watch, but because my collecting tastes had moved on.

IMG_8489_edited.JPG IMG_8490_edited.JPG IMG_8491_edited.JPG IMG_8492_edited.JPG

Perhaps at the time or perhaps soon thereafter, I learned of another line of Lifetime watches, a line private-labeled by the R.H. Macy & Co. department stores. As far as I know, all these watches were "guaranteed" for the life of the original owner, and all were solid gold-cased Illinois Grade 410 OF watches. In 2013 and 2015, I bought a pair of these. Here is the first one of these two watches:

IMG_3214 (640x635).jpg IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3220.JPG IMG_3223.JPG

I have always wondered whether Laforge & Valentine Lifetime Series pocket watches were PL'd by Macy as well, but I have never seen anything to that effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre