Gallet and Racine question

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
I found there is a family connection between Gallet and Racine and that Jules Racine was a cousin of the Gallet's and established the US outlet for Gallet produced timepieces in the mid 1800's. When did the Racine family begin making watches? Were the Jules Racine watches produced along with Gallet watches or were they a separate entity? I understand that Racine was acquired by Gallet in 1975 or so.

I also understand the Enicar brand (Racine backwards) was started by another Racine family member and existed up to the quartz revolution. As Gallet is perhaps the oldest name in watch making (at least according to them), I find this family history fascinating. Are these brands collectible?

Thanks, JeffL

DragonDan

Aug 24, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Region
Yes, Jules was the American distributor for Gallet. They didn't make watches, as all components were supplied by Gallet - although they were branded "Racine" or "Gallet by Racine".
It is a bit unclear what happened to Racine, although I suspect that they were absorbed back into Gallet, just like they did with Excelsior Park, during the 'quartz crisis' of the 70's.
As I understand it, Enicar was started by another cousin, but through a falling-out, set out on his own path. I don't think there is any direct corellation between the two companies.
~D

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Interesting thread. I have a Gallet Racine pocket watch. I would like to identify the calibre as i need a balance staff for it, would there be a calibre number on the movement.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kafa
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions