Help G.M.angem Count wheel cuckoo clock problem

Jmurrell

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Country
Region
I am working on a count wheel cuckoo clock.
This is the second one of these that I have worked on.
Having destroyed the first one and doing serious damage to this one I need some help from all you experts.
My problem is how the heck do you get the little gear off that drives the count wheel without destroying it, or the movement plate, or the shaft that the gear is on?
I have already bent the shaft that the gear is on but if I could get the gear off I could straighten it.
The first one I worked on I destroyed the gear and the clock plate.
Please if there is a secret to getting this off let me know.
John Murrell

100_1828.JPG 100_1829.JPG

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am working on a count wheel cuckoo clock.
This is the second one of these that I have worked on.
Having destroyed the first one and doing serious damage to this one I need some help from all you experts.
My problem is how the heck do you get the little gear off that drives the count wheel without destroying it, or the movement plate, or the shaft that the gear is on?
I have already bent the shaft that the gear is on but if I could get the gear off I could straighten it.
The first one I worked on I destroyed the gear and the clock plate.
Please if there is a secret to getting this off let me know.
John Murrell

View attachment 628129 View attachment 628130
For the record, GM angem is not a make of clock or a type of clock.

GM angem is an abbreviation for Gebrauchsmuster Angemeldet, which is a German utility-model patent that has been applied for.

Use of the "GM" abbreviation (for Gebrauchsmuster ) is typically post WWII.

Regards.

Jmurrell

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Country
Region
I don't know if I did the right thing or not but I decided to think like I had a frozen bolt on a car, so I got out my torch and the gear came off with a little persuasion.
I can at least take the movement apart and straighten the shaft the gear was on.
I just hope the gear will go back on and stay in place when I am done.
Thanks for your help. At least it got me to thinking about what else I might try.
If what I did wasn't the right thing I guess I will have to figure out how to fix a new problem. I will find out when I go to put the little gear back on.
Thanks
John Murrell

Robert Horneman

Jul 6, 2017
Country
I put the plate in the vise so that there is some clearance around the wheel. I use a small punch and lightly tap the wheel off. Another method ,find a pair of pliers where the teeth fit the gear and twist it off very carefully. I leave the wheel attached easy to clean.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Some of those are really tight. Heat is the best solution. A great illustration of how different materials expand and shrink is an invention by one of my favorite people on Youtube - Mark Rober. Here's the fun invention and some advertising about his instruction course he's about to offer.

Last edited:

Jmurrell

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Country
Region
I put shims under the small gear and tried to tap the wheel shaft out but all I accomplished was to peen over the end of the shaft making it harder to get off and eventually I bent the shaft going through the gear.
Before I heated it to get the gear off I had to file the end of the shaft to remove the part I peened over.
Otherwise I would never have been able to get the little gear to come off the shaft.
I had thought about leaving the little on the shaft and cleaning it without taking the gear off but after I bent the shaft I had to do something so that I could straighten the shaft.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff