Future of Internet

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Tom McIntyre, Aug 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When we talk about the direction we should go with the NAWCC Internet presence, we get a lot of feedback about how hard phones are to use and why anyone would want to browse with one.

In looking at another site, I found a discussion along those lines with this image presented as an argument that phones were the future (and maybe even the present).

314187.png

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    One wonders for each of the countries, what is the % of time spent online doing a Search?

What is the % spent doing texting, facetimes, reading email, etc.?

And finally, what do the statistics show if one were to break out using age groups? I would expect the younger, the greater the time spent on the phone.

If the Internet continues on its current path, reading advertising will become the largest amount of time spent; thus, killing the Internet.

3. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i suspect that numbers above 70% cannot be completely attributed to the youth of the users.

Even if you are a speaker of great wisdom, you will have little impact if you only speak on your front porch and no one ever comes to listen.

The younger set rarely see advertising on the Internet. I always look at ads here because I feel it is my duty to at least be courteous to our member advertisers.

4. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I know that my grandchildren spend most of their time online using the phone, and I guess almost all of that is on social media, and most of the rest is buying stuff online. They hardly ever use search engines, they don't use message boards, they don't read Wikipedia. Interestingly, on the odd occasion that they need to use a search engine or do anything "serious", they revert to iPads or ask their parents to do it for them!!!!!

5. Ticktinker

Ticktinker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Construction Inspector
    Houston Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    What a beautiful truth!
    Dave.

6. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder how accurate these figures might be, I don't use my phone for browsing much, but it constantly updates social media and emails, so something like that might give a false impression.

7. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    They can't be considered "accurate" because there is no inclusion of what the numbers represent. Some questions have already been asked here about that, but I doubt that anyone knows the answers ... not even the people who produced the numbers in the first place :D

8. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The real design issues to worry about for us are touch and orientation. The current generation is now trained to believe that those features are inherent in using devices, so our old devices that do not support touch to drag and rotate to show display better are quaint to them. As long as we can support that sort of features, we should be OK.

Eventually a reasonable number of them will seek communities that are doing something that interests them. Hopefully a reasonable number of those will find horology interesting. They will certainly find a friendly and helpful community if they come here. Facebook and other social media communities do not provide the depth of background they can find here if they come. Of course, a very large number of the younger folk feel that 1 sentence conversations and Google searches are all that is needed.

Forums, in general, are having a hard time competing with that trend. I wonder what we could do to make the world a more thoughtful place? Time will tell. :)

9. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's why I am the anti-Twitter. I can't even seem to fit my name into 1 sentence.

A lot of these numbers are most probably attributable to people communicating, and perhaps shopping, while they are at work. The public is learning that what's on company computers, is company property. And, if they want any chance of privacy (from employer's eyes) for their conversations, or browsing/shopping habits, they use their phones.

I hardly ever use my phone to go online for anything. It's only when I'm waiting in a Dr.'s office or something. And even then I'd better have my reading glasses with me. To me, small screens on phones are of the same bad humor as the ladies cocktail-watches of the fifties and sixties. "What time is it?" "Why, I don't have any idea. Ask someone who has a watch they can read the time from."

I suspect that phone over desktop/laptop internet use is probably peaking about now. The people who are driving up those numbers will someday be forty-ish, and have compromised close-distance vision. When that happens they'll be gearing up so that they can see. Soon they will use a real computer to continue their minimalist tweets, etc.

10. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I've finally got a smartphone but only because the camera was broken so it was given to me. I don't use it for internet stuff.

11. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A lot of people were reluctant to give up their horse and buggy because they could not stand the idea of buying gas when their horse could just eat grass in the yard. The horse could also take them home if they got sleepy or had a bit too much to drink.

In the next 40 years, driverless cars and distributed power systems may have us back to where we were in the good old days. :)

12. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    Deceased

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    The percentages shown will also include Tablets, not just phones. They dont surprise me at all, I use my tablet and phone for at least 95% of my browsing and shopping and online time.

Only thing I use the laptop for is letters/spreadsheets (v rare). Occasionally I'll use it for photo editing as it has photoshop on it, but most editing I can do on my tablet.

I always use the mobile version of the MB, I much prefer it to the full version. But have to switch to the full version to view thumbnails which is a little tedious. Mostly its great though

Mobile devices are future!

13. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    ClipClock, it's always a dangerous process to assume that what you choose to do is what everyone else will choose ;)

Let's be clear that all technological devices get smaller and more powerful over time. That has been happening with computers since they were introduced as commercial tools 60 years ago. What a typical cellphone is today is simply a continuation of that miniaturisation process - what you hold in your hand (and to your ear) today is the equivalent of what 60 years ago needed 3,000 cubic feet of air-conditioned space to house :D And the process still continues.

I fully understand why so many people use a "mobile device" for many computing functions. Personally I have no desire nor need to read my emails on my phone while I'm sitting in the park, but I recognise the urge for immediacy in the younger generation - I prefer to enjoy the sunshine and the scenery while they prefer to know right now that their friend has just eaten a great meal at KFC. When I'm having a meal with friends in a restaurant, I prefer to enjoy a leisurely meal and to chat to my friends, while the younger folk prefer to read Twitter on their cellphones under the table.

That's a matter of preference, and my experience is that it is largely a matter of generational choice. My grand-daughter gets a new cellphone almost every year because she absolutely positively desperately must have this new feature that Apple just put into their iPhone. By contrast, I just bought my first iPhone three months ago - a model 6 discounted by about 75%. My grand-daughter spends much of her life using her iPhone on the internet, while I have only used my internet capability once - using a map app to get walking directions to an address in central London.

Mobile devices have limitations - tiny "keyboards" and screens, no printing capability, limited device interfaces - but doubtless in a decade or two even those will have been overcome. But so far as (for example) this Message Board is concerned, there is no effective difference how a member chooses to access it - the only burden placed on this website is the provision of a range of software tools of convenience to manage different devices. For myself I would never access this Message Board via my phone - it's impossible to read anything as extensive and complex as a thread here on a cellphone screen, or even the screen on a mini-tablet. Twitter got that right when they designed their system to handle 140-character messages!!!!!

I suspect that tablets, laptops, even desktops are just as much "the future" as mobile devices; they all have their place and they are each indispensable in certain circumstances. Maybe sometime in the future the young folk will all be carrying implants which make cellphones redundant, but I betcha laptops will still be around :D Isn't futurism a great topic?

14. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I get my implant in another 20 years or so, I will be sure to get one that employs my visual cortex and provides a VR viewing device for nostalgia. :) I doubt that I will need a workstation and keyboard, but I may employ a muscle sense simulator if I develop a yearning for the past.

The real, and only, reason for exploring this is to alert members that we will be making some style changes to the site when we next upgrade. Those style changes will be intended and designed to flatten some of the differences between the workstation view and the mobile device view. We will not have two different user interfaces as we do now, If you are browsing on a smart phone, you will have the smart phone inputs of voice and orientation and if you are on a device that has a keyboard and mouse, those will be available and effectively used. Image management will employ simple drag and drop between windows or you may upload from your local file system or on-board camera.

A sneak preview for those who take the time to read this thread is available at https://xf.nawcc.org. That site will be scrubbed of its current contents before we transfer the contents of this site to it and go to live use.

15. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Thanks for sharing that link.

I perused the new site layout on both my laptop and smart phone and I like it so much more than the current site. The new site is less "busy" and seems to be more intuitive.

Good job!

Regards.

16. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can appreciate the reason for changing the format of things to better accommodate mobile users. That is, as you pointed out, a trend that is real. And I like the way the page displays when I use Explorer, but there are some issues with my up-to-date (Firefox version 54.0.1). I've been seeing the incorrectly displayed icons on a lot of pages lately. I guess I know why now. A MrRoundel vs. internet problem.

Still, I have the most recent Firefox installed, and have disabled all of my various ad-blockers, script-stoppers, tracker-trickers, etc., yet the display lacks a few things (Subject icons being one of them). It may still be attributable to some setting that I have, that I can't undo, or something otherwise unknown to me. But just in case you're interested, it looks like the attached screen-grab. Thanks for your hard work, Tom. 314430.png

17. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Biggest mistake I ever made was to link my email to the smartphone.

18. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Performance of web sites is greatly improved if characters are used for icons instead of images. In particular, we are using the font-awesome character set for almost all the symbols on the new site. You have font-awesome disabled in your browser. We will try to see how that is done, so we can tell you how to undo it. I just installed the latest Firefox browser and the Font-Awesome characters show up fine for me. Here is a shot of what the screen looks like for me.
    314460.jpg

19. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Tom. I checked into it and apparently it does have something to do with my browser settings. Unfortunately, the problem must lie in a place that a non-coder like myself can't get to, and perhaps shouldn't get to. No worries, there are worse things than doing without "awesome" fonts/icons, etc.

20. ClipClock

Deceased

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    #20 ClipClock, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    The new layout/style looks nice and uncluttered :)

Personally MrRoundel I cant understand why anyone would want to use a big lumping computer when you can have neat hand held devices but perhaps there are people who like being tied to their desks :)

PS Seem to be having problems getting onto the main nawcc.org main website today, every time I try it just downloads a file ending .svg and then the browser window closes. Using a tablet obviously lol

21. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    .SVG is Scalable Vector Graphics, a format for images that consists of rules rather than raster scans. Oddly enough, it is particularly useful for devices with a wide range of resolution since it does not pixelate as you enlarge the image. I don't see any when I load the main page, but I know my old clunky laptop handles them just fine because I have been experimenting with them on the new site.

22. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #22 musicguy, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    I have a love hate relationship with technology. For my job I use
    all the devises, tablet's, smart phones, laptops, and multiple table top PC's.

There is no question that when the smartphone and tablet came out
    there was a real trend(for young people) away from the laptop and tabletop PC.
    That can be plainly be seen from the sales of these devises.
    But, many people have realized that these devises(currently) are not
    computers, but mainly portals to retrieve information. Both of my
    sons after getting tired of their phone apps(which they still do most of their web surfing on)
    wanted laptops be able to use a real computer.
    I do know that there are many who survive without any computer,
    and only use their smart phone.

So the smart phone killed
    the watch, the camera, the PC, and the tablet, alarm clock,video camera etc.

Rob

23. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I prefer a desktop when doing research (which really is all I do on the internet).

I stopped using the NAWCC mobile site, I prefer the traditional site. I can see more on the screen.

There is difficulty for me to type on a handheld device. How can anyone type accurately with that small keypad? Without auto correct, the keys are too small. Further, my fingers are not large.

I use a handheld device, tablet, and desktop. Desktop is by far my favorite. Handheld device is most annoying to spend more than 2 minutes of time to use.

A constant of my life, I was never one to be a slave to trends. I do what is comfortable for me, at all times.

24. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it's destroying the youth. So many do so little physically anymore.

25. ClipClock

Deceased

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Heres how, its a sliding action!

https://youtu.be/vCdNBWOxcy0

26. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, The kid's good. Better than I could ever hope to be, but somehow I'm not envious. :?|

27. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We don't all have the same skills. He may wish he knew what you now about horology. :)

28. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:

swings and roundabouts.

Most of us would like to heave the best of all the worlds. I can't wait until they work out how to make it all seamless.

- - - Updated - - -

she.

29. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably the real future of the internet, already beginning, is the insertion of micro chips into our bodies- connected to our brain. No more devices! Not sure how we will compromise issues of privacy. Much less people acting on, or making impulsive thoughts or actions that others will see (immediate transparency). But really this is what people want, correct? We want to be connected, but we still want to keep a little bit of distance.

Personally, I don't want for us humans to really get THERE.

30. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When your finally forced to take the chip (post financial apocalypse ) you'll be a transhuman too.
    Either that or starve...

31. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yup. Me, tied to my favorite desk. :chuckling: 314751.jpg

32. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you land that? Looks like a potential backbreaker.

33. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh man, now I see, he's wayyyy up there..!

34. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I landed it. No broken back, however the cumulative effects of such antics are catching up to my 60 year-old back, knees, elbows, etc. That was from
    Ventura, CA, in November of 2015, taken from a GoPro video-cam while mounted on my helmet. That's my buddy, Brandon, passing below me completely unfazed. He's a much better sailor than I, but he wasn't thinking about that at the time.

Sorry for taking it a bit off-topic, but being loosely referred to as a desk-dweller kind of called for it, IMO. I know it was good-natured, as is my response. Cheers all.