Fusee Up/Down, Help needed in Identification of maker, and anything else.

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
I need help with finding out information on this watch. It is a Fusee key wind from back and key set from the front. It is and Up/down, wind indicator, or power reserve. I don't know the difference between the terms as they all seem to mean the same thing. The dial is marked UP and Down. What would be the proper description? Most of all I can not find anything on the Maker, J. Greening, 31 Market. St, Longton. Have searched all over the place. Found out Longton was noted for pottery. Can not find a watch maker from there. I did find a few photos of Market St from that period. The movement is also marked, 31 Market St, Longton, Patented 3005 Safety Wheel, and J. Greening. Movement No. 2637. I Could not find anything on the patented safety wheel, other than another photo of a movement with that stamped on it. Case number matches movement number 2637. Marks inside the case that I found, I.J.T.N. For. Isaac Jebez Theo Newsom, Don't know if that is right or not, and if he made good cases. The other one is a C with a lion and shield, that the book said was Chester 1903. I do not know if that is correct either. Any information will help. I have taken a few Photographs of it so hope they help in identification of it. Thanks Rodney.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4jpg.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bernhard J.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Acltually, there is no fusee. The reversing wheel serves the purposes of making the watch wind in the expected direction.

The up/down indicator is unusual on this type of watch. The English Watch Co. made a lot of watches similar to this, but not this one. Someone else shoid be able to identify the maker from the patent.

Reactions: Rodney Leon

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Acltually, there is no fusee. The reversing wheel serves the purposes of making the watch wind in the expected direction.
Thanks for that my mistake ,you are right there is no fusee..Here is another shot not to good taken through the crystal. I did not want to take the movement out as it was just serviced. It keeps perfect time.

DSC_3012.jpg

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World Lists:-
Greening Joseph Longton Staffordshire 1887 - 92
Also jeweller
The Hallmark looks more like 1886 than 1903 to me

Last edited:

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Your watch was made in Coventry. The case maker's mark is for Isaac Jabez Theo Newsome as you identified. He was both a case maker and a watch maker. The case was assayed at the Chester office, the date letter [C] is for 1886/87. The patent 3005 was taken out by A J Morcom on March 3, 1886. This was discussed here.

Unfortunately Jerry's attachment is not accessible (missing photographs) - this is a copy of the missing patent.

1652593482203.png

The watch was retailed by Greening who will have received the completed watch with the movement already signed with his name from the Coventry maker, who was probably Newsome, The Butts, Coventry.

John

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World Lists:-
Greening Joseph Longton Staffordshire 1887 - 92
Also jeweller
The Hallmark looks more like 1886 than 1903 to me
The case maker's mark is for Isaac Jabez Theo Newsome as you identified. He was both a case maker and a watch maker. The case was assayed at the Chester office, the date letter [C] is for 1886/87. The patent 3005 was taken out by A J Morcom on March 3, 1886.
Thank you both for the information on the watch. I collect and work on American Railroad watches so these are something unusual for me. The workmanship on it is amazing. I spoke too soon about it keeping perfect time it has now lost 10 minutes in 24 hours. It runs ok during the day in the pocket without any noticeable lost in time. Will check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner