Fusee Skeleton Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Lincolnhill, Nov 11, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lincolnhill

Lincolnhill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I just acquired my first skeleton clock, and for that matter, my first fusee clock.

Two questions:

1) When the fusee is fully wound down, how much pressure/tension should still be on the mainspring? My clock has winding arbors on the fusee and the mainspring so it is easily adjustable.

2) After I have finished cleaning, polishing and oiling the movement, should I oil the fusee chain? Currently it is oiled to the point it has left puddles on the mainspring's barrel which seems odd to me.

Any other things I should be aware of before proceeding?

Thanks,

Michael

2. Lincolnhill

Lincolnhill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I just acquired my first skeleton clock, and for that matter, my first fusee clock.

Two questions:

1) When the fusee is fully wound down, how much pressure/tension should still be on the mainspring? My clock has winding arbors on the fusee and the mainspring so it is easily adjustable.

2) After I have finished cleaning, polishing and oiling the movement, should I oil the fusee chain? Currently it is oiled to the point it has left puddles on the mainspring's barrel which seems odd to me.

Any other things I should be aware of before proceeding?

Thanks,

Michael