th_SNC11426.gif
th_SNC11427.gif
th_SNC11428.gif
th_SNC11429.gif
th_SNC11430.gif
th_SNC11431.gif
th_SNC11432.gif
th_SNC11433.gif

Please help me to date this clock. At the moment striking fuction do not work as the lever which can lift the striker is missing and some other parts. Any idea where I can get these part. I hope this is not reproduction. If i clean and polish this clock will it lose it value as i love its old patina at the moment.

itbme1987

May 18, 2008
NY
Country
Region
i could be wrong....but i think iv seen this design several times on ebay through either proclocks or zero-distance......i could be wrong though....either way i think it looks very neat....i wouldnt mind one of them in my collection:thumb:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
YADAV said:
any idea what type of escapment it is? and date pls.
From your photo the escapement looks like the common recoil escapement and not the dead-beat type which was rarely used on skeleton clocks.

Reason: many skeleton clocks of old were made using parts supplied to clockmakers to build English gallery clocks (aka dial clock) or parts salvaged from them.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the parts missing from your "passing strike" linkage. It looks like there was some kind of bell crank used to transmit the motion from the minute wheel pin to the bell hammer shaft.

The passing bell strike parts in my asian made kit are simpler: the hammer shaft has a simple lever lifted by the pin on the minute wheel.

Bill Ward

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2003
USA
Ryan. what is Zero-Distance? Do they make clocks, or just sell them? Do they ship from China? Thanks!

Bill W.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Looks like an Asian to me. Escapement, as ECK counsels: ANCHOR style recoil very popular on skeletons. Common recoil but with a higher quality pallet assy. aptly called an ANCHOR. Kinda looks like one.

itbme1987

May 18, 2008
NY
Country
Region
repro or not...i wouldnt mind a neat congreve clock in my room listening to that ball roll around, i wonder how accurate them are

ged

Apr 3, 2002
The Skeleton Clock looks like a home made, from a surplus English Dial Clock Movement. There were lots of these made and as long as you know what they and pay accordingly thats okay. I nearly started to make on myself a long time ago but decided to restore the original wooden case instead. Regards to all , Ged.

YADAV

Jun 29, 2006
I hope it is made from dial clock. Because this is my first fusee clock. Any idea about the dates. I seen some chinese clocks too but this one is very heavy strong and brass looks porous just my observation may be I am work. I hope it is not asian clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre